Application Compatibility

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by rwk, Dec 23, 2001.

1. rwk

rwk Guest

I am trying to run a 16-bit application in XP that works in Win95&98. I used the built-in compatibility mode (i.e. right click on the program, properties, compatibility). I also used QFixApp in the Microsoft supplied Application Compatibility Toolkit, setting most of the fixes "on" with the fixes tab. Nothing works. The program hangs while starting up, and the system shows CPU utilization at 100%. I have run out of things to try, and I really need this program. HELP!

{Richard}

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

You might consider a dual boot configuration. Install Win95 or 98 and then Install XP. Then when you need the program just boot into the OS that supports your program. It sounds like you've about exhausted all the other "fixes."

3. Speed4Ever

Speed4Ever Guest

What program is it?

4. rwk

rwk Guest

Thanks for the feedback. I have a *new* computer with XP pre-installed. I considered a dual-boot arrangement but rejected it because of the added complexity and because it would eliminate warranty support.

The software is a financial analysis product called Chartbook 95. The vendor went out of business about a year and half ago. The name notwithstanding, the software is 16-bit.

If I cannot resolve the compatibilty problems, I will probably have to set up a home network with two computers.

{Richard}