News Apples Moves to Lock Out Unauthorised iOS Users

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by ray_gillespie, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

A new patent filed by Apple has detailed several security measures that an iOS-based device, for example an iPhone or iPad, could employ to disable access to sensitive information or features.

Currently, if an iOS device falls into the wrong hands the only security feature it has is a four-digit lock-code, and that's only if the feaure has been enabled by the owner. The new patent, entitled Systems and Methods for Identifying Unauthorized Users of an Electronic Device, would take a different approach to identify who is using the device.

This approach could include using voice print analysis, photo analysis, and even heartbeat analysis to detect tell-tale signs of unauthorised use, like a rapid heartbeat, or face and voice detection to compare the features of the current user to the features of the device's owner.

In theory, if an iPad detects that it is being accessed by an unauthorised user, it could shut down or remove access to sensitive information. Accoring to the patent, when an unauthorized user is detected, "various safety measures can be taken", which can include alerting the real owner via text, email or voice message.

You can see the full patent here (heavy traffic seems to be causing intermittent server problems so there's also a PDF of the patent attached to this post).

Attached Files:

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

That is pretty cool. I can people not activating it though, mostly for the fact that it will turn out to be more of a pain in the butt than anything.

I think what they should do is have a finger print reader through out the device, and only allow people who's prints are on file with it to use it.

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Sounds like a bad plan for a phone, what happens when the first person that is panicked because they were in an accident, or are being robbed, tries to dial 911 and the phone won't let them in due to the "safety" features.

4. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Well according to the iPhone user guide,

So if Apple is to implement any new security options I doubt they would circumvent this feature. I think you would still be able to dial it.

5. Xie

Who has actually read 98+ pages of the iPhone manual? How do you make the emergency call show up if the phone is locked (I've never locked my iPhone so maybe this is easy)?

6. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Ehm, when your phone is locked you turn it back on, slide over to unlock and then click "Emergency Call".

Not exactly rocket science.

7. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

My post says "see page 98". :)

8. Xie

Never locked my phone. :( I was thinking the lock came before the slide. Also interesting that "Emergency Call" is right there if you lock, but not if you don't.

/me goes off to build a rocket