Apple's "Don't Give Up on Vista" Ad

Unless you have some strange hardware, Linux is arguably as good as Windows as far as drivers is concerned, even better if you ask me. My scanner doesn't work in Vista but it does in Linux. Doesn't cost you anything to download a LiveCD and see how much of it it picks up automatically.

This is off-topic for this thread though.

Unless you have some strange hardware, Linux is arguably as good as Windows as far as drivers is concerned, even better if you ask me. My scanner doesn't work in Vista but it does in Linux. Doesn't cost you anything to download a LiveCD and see how much of it it picks up automatically.

This is off-topic for this thread though.
if you want to start a "getting started with lunux" thread, do's and don'ts, support and programs I will stick it

I do want to be directed to a user interface though

if you want to start a "getting started with lunux" thread, do's and don'ts, support and programs I will stick it

I do want to be directed to a user interface though

I tried living with KDE and Gnome for about 6 months each and neither of them were really polished enough. I went back to Windows as my primary desktop OS. Later I got a Mac, I happily have the power of UNIX in the terminal when I want (Windows + Cygwin is close) and a usable user interface.

That said I've heard Gnome and KDE have become much more usable since.

Further highlights why I detest Apple and their holier than thou attitude.

These ads are not really to change anyones minds, or to sell you anything really. They are more of just a funny way to get the Apple name out there, nothing more. Anyone taking offense to these is reading way to much into them IMHO. Unless you work for Microsoft and personally coded some of the stuff they make fun of I don't see why anyone would get all bent out of shape over a funny little ad. :)

Personally speaking i've used both over the course of many years.

As E.P posted, Win 3.11 was circa '92, back then if you were into making music, DTP, or graphic design; you were left with little choice. Or you could botch something together with an Amiga >.<

I can see both sides of the 'argument' however it's really misplaced loyalty for the main part.
Both parties have brought much to the table.

I guess Apple's view is they innovate new technology, and M$ simply copy it.
After all, Apple had the GUI way back in '84, it took M$ 8 years to 'catch-up', and it was a poor comparison, and blatently a hijacked idea from what they'd seen Apple do.
While i'm not knocking command line interfaces - they still hold a valid place to this day in many many guises -The GUI held the key to getting the PC onto every workplace desktop and into the homes of millions.
Conversely, Apple's decision to not franchise their technology initially gave M$ the public exposure necessary to facilitate global domination of the PC market.

Apple's products are traditionally expensive, and required practically bespoke components. They utilised a SCSI bus over Parallel. They had a 32 bit system years before M$.
Apple wanting control over all hardware and software aspects of their machines led to a poorly supported userbase. Both in hardware and 3rd party software.
The lack of support, and upgradability really was a non-starter
They backtracked later with the introduction of PowerPC macs etc but it was too little too late.

Apple really do need to emphasise what makes a Mac the preferred choice over a PC nowadays, and after years of competition they still haven't grasped this.
They were always geared towards giving an intuitive UI, and performance for their users. The Mac was more a tool to work with, not work on.
The lack of software support for the Apple OS is largely due to a superiority complex and an air of enigmaticism.
Being mysterious about your products and hoping they'll spread by personal recommendation is a huge gamble.

You may have created a computer that's better than the next guy's, but you have to tell people why.
It seems pretty simple, if you want PC users to convert, then inform them. Get software devs onboard to deliver they apps they want/know.
Never insult them, as that will only drive them further away. Especially if the other guy has a product everyone is familiar with.

Ironically, Apple cut their own throat somewhat with the i-Mac release.
This put a spotlight on one of the major differences between the two camps.
Sure, people were bored with beige PC's (geared to fit in with late 70's decoration) and Apple mass marketed the i-Mac...an 'Apple Lisa with attitude' This fed a market that was screaming for an individual PC.
Something that didn't sit like a cumbersome lump of beige in a modern home environment.
This need to move away from the beige box spread beyond the small modding community and into mainstream PC userbases everywhere.
Now we see all manner of overclocked, water-cooled behemoths around with all the lights you'd find at a 70's disco, nevermind the 70's living room decorations.
In essence, this meant; if you wanted true if you want individuality, then go for a PC-
Customise the box, the components, and hell, even skin the UI..the list goes on.

Just for the record, this is posted from a machine running XP.
I'm not even going to touch on the whole Linux issue.
I have no allegience either way, both Apple OS and Windows based machines have merits and flaws.
It's simply down to personal choice.
Sadly Apple seem to be concentrating their influence with regard to people's choice in the worse possible way with these ads.

Now group-hug all, let's move on :D

That's a great post Erb. However I don't necessarily think providing people a more informative ad will really help spur sales. Why? Those type of ads are ****ing boring! :D

I believe these ads are really being made to take advantage of the current belief among the general population that using a Mac makes you a cooler person. And look at the ad: The Mac is a cool guy. The PC is a geek. Be cool like the Mac guy.

It's just to spark interest and create some discussion (and look at how this thread turned out ;p) - from there people will naturally be interested in finding out more at Apple's website which has the more technical, fact based info.

erbmaster that's a nice post...one correction

zerox invented the gui that's why MAC couldn't go after anyone else that used it also, some say mac hired staff from zerox to get the gui, I've heard that mac bought the right to use it, in any event it would be zerox's invention, neither jobs and company nor gates and company

Last edited:
Hehe, yeah they are boring Grandmaster, but if your bread and butter comes from selling your wares, then personal recommendation/reputation is a gamble in a market you don't hold the lion's share of ;)
I know it's a bit of fun. I for one was in no way insulted by those ads. But i read above others were. :)

erbmaster that's a nice post...one correction

zerox invented the gui that's why they couldn't go after anyone else that used it also

I wasn't aware of that, I live and learn! :) - Had i said they invented the GUI I'd stand corrected. However I never said Apple invented it :lick:
At least I never meant to infer that.
I said they innovate new technology and had the GUI back in '84, 8 years earlier than M$. Meaning they were ahead of M$ in that respect.
Likewise I said they had a 32 bit system years before, but i didn't say they invented that either.

I can see how it reads that way though :)
Sorry if it's misleading..feel free to edit if ya like?
Cheers for the info on Xerox tho', always nice to find out new stuff like that.

Last edited:
Hehe, yeah they are boring Grandmaster, but if your bread and butter comes from selling your wares, then personal recommendation/reputation is a gamble in a market you don't hold the lion's share of ;)
I know it's a bit of fun. I for one was in no way insulted by those ads. But i read above others were. :)

Ah, but their bread and butter is now the iPod/iPhone ;)

These ads are not really to change anyones minds, or to sell you anything really. They are more of just a funny way to get the Apple name out there, nothing more. Anyone taking offense to these is reading way to much into them IMHO. Unless you work for Microsoft and personally coded some of the stuff they make fun of I don't see why anyone would get all bent out of shape over a funny little ad. :)

They are specifically to change people's minds by getting people to purchase Mac systems.

I am simply not a fan of advertising that is this pointed and attacking, especially when the alternative offered has just as many issues and is an even more glossed over "NEW operating system" than the one the ad trashes.

The Apple ads stopped being funny over a year ago. But they do continue to show just how pompous Apple really is.

They are specifically to change people's minds by getting people to purchase Mac systems.

Urmmm, isn't that kind of the point of advertising? They are being more forward about it than the top leading brand.

Imagine it if it went

Mac: "Hi I'm Cillit Bang"
PC: "Hi I'm Bleach"
Mac: "Hey Bleach, how's it going?"
PC: "Kinda bad, I really can't get this penny looking as good as new"
Mac: "Oh can't you do that? Cillit Bang comes with the power to tackle that kind of thing. I'm also really good with grime and lime too."

Urmmm, isn't that kind of the point of advertising? They are being more forward about it than the top leading brand.

I was responding to this.

Originally Posted by Xie
These ads are not really to change anyones minds, or to sell you anything really.

/me slaps Geffy.

I even quoted it in my post you git.

/me goes to buy Geffy glasses

IMHO these are aimed at the "non-tech" folks that are the large percentage of the population, not "us". :) We have are predigest against OS's (based on facts or not) and are not worth the time to try and "sell" on a new OS. If we like it we probably already have it. These are geared more toward the thousands that are getting Vista gear for the holiday and are gonna be real sad pandas. :)

I was responding to this.

/* this now missing due to quotage :p */

/me slaps Geffy.

I even quoted it in my post you git.

/me goes to buy Geffy glasses

In that case I also disagree with Xie in that quoted bit :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back