Apple is not a company, its a cult.

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Tabula Rasa, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

So I finally decided to get a new computer - not the usual I'll just upgrade two parts and try to get along, but an entire new system.
    I was checking the prices and parts I can get and an idea came to mind, why not check what Apple has to offer. So I started looking and not only there isn't an apple store in Israel (which is understandeble) but there isn't any company imorting Macs (only iPods).

So once I got over the usual "I'm living in a friggin' bannana republic" moment, I decided to email the presumably nice Apple people, and see if and how they can help me.

But then (and this realy ***** my **** up!) I discovered you have to be a registered member in order to email those people :devious: Now in my mind thats almost like asking people to fill out forms in order to blow me.

So now, not only I'm not going to buy a Mac, Steve Jobs is officialy invited to suck me off! I'll get the paperwork ready.

NetRyder likes this.
  2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Ehm... riiiight.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

He doesn't deserve the priviledge. :p

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Haha :p

Amusing thread :D

5. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Indeed.

6. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Like I always post in these threads, imagine if Bill Gates further monopolized and forced you to buy a "Microsoft" PC to have the "privelege" of running his OS.

7. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

There have been no hints of any such thing happening since the company's inception. Microsoft has historically been a software company (the name says it all - Micro[computer]soft[ware]), and it's highly unlikely that's going to change anytime in the near future.

The ideologies of Microsoft and Apple have always been very different - while Microsoft believes in partnering with several different hardware vendors, Apple believes in controlling the whole end-to-end experience. The personal computing scene is a great example of this differentiation, and so is the digital music scene. Microsoft implements the software side - Windows Media (the player, codecs and Janus DRM), but partners with a variety of hardware vendors like Creative, iRiver, Dell, Samsung etc. Apple, on the other hand, controls the hardware (the iPod) and the software (iTunes, iTMS) experience.

Now people can cite pros and cons to each approach (and I won't voice my opinion since it's irrelevent to this discussion), but I don't see this basic ideological difference between the two companies changing anytime soon. It does sound like some good FUD material that Slashdot could pass off as front-page news though. I can almost see the headlines - "Imagine if teh evil empire could control your lives..." :p

8. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Yeah, I would have to agree that Apple is a cult too. I have never liked any of thier products. Their IPod really is nothing to be proud of... it doesn't even have a color screen and it looks like it was built 10 years ago and they should have made it able to play video... my phone does both MP3s and video! Quicktime tries to take over your computer. Thier PCs look like they are all trying to win a fashion show. Their mouses (and that rightfully is the plural of computer mouse) only has one button... heck, my mouse has 4!

9. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Just in passing MAc invented the mouse

10. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

11. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Except their selling MS Office for Mac on their site :squareeye

12. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Seems I am one of many people mistaken on that one nothing new I have been wrong before and will be again

13. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Macs are computers, MS Office for MAC is comptuter software, where's the problem?

While I agree that apple is a waste of space and time (and thusly their hardware and software as they seem to arrive late on the bandwagon and then come up with ways to sue or persecute everyone else off of what they now want to be their bandwagon - if this isnt true its certainly the image I percieve from the vast majority of mac users)

I dont see any problem in making money out of those users that decide they want to fence themselves off on a minority architecture.

Linux is anothre prime example. Its free, so how many companies (inlcudling my present employer) make money by selling either the os itself, or services related to or using that os? Its a minority platform that businesses can make money from.

Apple is exceptionally good at that :) Sub-standard proprietry hardware or in some cases (apple lcds, etc) standard hardware - at insane prices with poor aftersales thrown in as a bonus.

In the end it is all just a passing fad. It'll just take a long time to pass so long as there are people willing to pay for it. Be it Apple fand buying Apple, Wintel fans buying windoes and intel/amd or linux fnas paying to use or obtain linux.

14. man which iPod are you seeing have you see the ipod photo with a click wheel?
    it has a color screen and touch sensitive wheel

15. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

OK, I stand corrected... but still, it doesn't play video.

16. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

*spies bandwagon...jumps on*

Woooo! I hate Mac to, they are the shiz, and all their mothers are ugly

And they have bad personal hygiene

and...errr...Yo momma!