App Killing Script or batch file???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by baser5nature, Feb 19, 2003.

1. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

How would i create a vbscript or batch file to kill a bunch of things i have running like cursorxp, samurize, mbm, and a few others...?

Basically i'd like to kill these apps and services before i head into a game... then when i'm done playin start 'em up again...

maybe there's a good resource somewhere out there for stuff like this... or maybe there's a program that will let me set configurations for killing groups of apps or services... i've tried appswat and kill but they don't cut it...IMO...

any hints... ???

thanks...

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

From the Windows 2000/XP Support Tools (support.cab on the CD)Extract kill.exe, this terminates processes from the command line.

Then create a batch file calling kill.exe for each process in turn.

Should not be too hard :)

3. yoyo

yoyo _________________

4. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

You use AutoIt and make a script the will kill all the programs that you want, then run them all again when you exit the game.

Here's a link for the Yahoo group if you need help.

5. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

autoit can only close visible windows... i want to kill services and background apps...

looks like the command line "taskkill" should do the trick, now i just have to learn how to write a batch file... i've heard they're pretty easy...

6. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

it works great now... one batch file to close everything before i go into games, and one batch file to open them all back up when i come out of games... had some trouble figuring out short foldernames considering i've got 4 folders that start with "microsoft"...

i could probably do it with one batch file and some if statements, but it works so i'm happy...

now i'm taking 42 processes down to 28 before i start a game... yay...

7. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

That's not true at all.

8. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

Dear Zipopteryxicalanon...

here is an exact excerpt from the AutoIt help file...
    Q #1: Is it possible to send keystrokes to invisible windows with AutoIt?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    A #1: No

if you can tell me how i would close a program like the Messenger Plus! 2 extension which has no visible window using either the winclose, or winwaitclose, or winkill commands in AutoIt please do so...

...however i think it's much easier to use the taskkill command in a batchfile now that i figured that out...

9. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

You must not be able to read correctly. :rolleyes:

You never said you wanted to use those exact commands. Next time be more specific then spouting off at the mouth. :rolleyes:

No kidding it would be easier, but yes you can close services and hidden programs the same way as taskkill.

:rolleyes:

10. baser5nature

baser5nature OSNN Addict

hey zippy...

those are the only commands available for killing apps...

i didn't read incorrectly, i typed creatively... :eek:

I didn't think i was "spouting off at the mouth":rolleyes:

sorry...

can you explain how to close services and hidden programs the same way as taskkill then please... because i'm still not convinced...