aol!!!!!

How long have you been using freeserve ???
whats the longest you've been online for ???
using freeserve that is (plz) :)

I have had Freeserve for about 2 years or more.
The longest I have ever stayed on it ( online but not at my computer ), around 5 hours !!!

Strange?? - U must be one of the lucky ones :) I'm hooked on AOL - Built in e-mail & IM & a funny looking browser that when IE wont show the page AOL usually will & faster as well :D
btw. my longest time online is 4 x days. With freeserve it was two hours :(

If I left mine on, I could probably do it for that long !!!

You'll find this in your TOS - COS - contract !!!!!!

1.11 All Internet calls will be subject to network traffic management controls. We reserve the right to disconnect you after 2 hours continuous use and/or 10 minutes of inactivity during connection.

The have the right, they can if they have to, but they have not done so, so far !!!

Why I don't like AOL (from USA):

It's a clunky interface, hogs resources (although XP mem management definitely helps), and is geared more for beginners.
It is quite a big program for what I really use it for. It is nice in that the Email and browser is built in, but if you lose your connection, the page you were viewing goes with it.

I only stay with it because my family and I have established screen names/email addresses and the wife likes it because its easy to use. She also likes to chat/IM (which I hate). I personally hate the AOL browser. As soon as I connect, I minimize AOL and use Explorer or Netscape6.

Price is ok, but could be better. Connection speed says 53k but actual download speed is about 4.6k/sec. I only use it to check email or to d/l an occasional driver. Most of my surfing and downloading is done at work on a T1 :)

Freeserve is a really good service, but I will be getting 512k soon anyway !!!

Originally posted by ZAnwar
Freeserve is a really good service, but I will be getting 512k soon anyway !!!

who will be supplying your connection ?????

Nice 1 :) that looks like a really good deal, I'd like to upgrade myself but ADSL is not available in my area that just leaves me with NTL cable but I've used these ppl b4 for a tv package and the service was dreadful, so in the mean time I'm stuck with AOL, the next best thing to a permanant connection :rolleyes:

The AOL HATE Campaign....

Well i can name one major thing most XP-erienced users hate is all the junk mail from AOL. Another thing is most Americans hate monopolies and AOL is to the internet what Microsoft is to operating systems.

I am a old school internet user i started back in 1994. I used AOL for my first 2yrs (Of coarse they were fake S/N's the hourly charge in those days would kill you) AOL was fun easy to use but the more they started upgrading their software the more they limited users. At one time they would not allow outside browsers to work and they would kill any online shopping pages unless it can through them. I got tired of all the <>< for CC# and S/N's and PW. Then at one point they went on a massive kill the naughty Users campain of thier own. My main account died for a minor infringement against a Guide and they would not refund my money or allow me any service for 6 months.

The other thing most XP-erienced users hate is the silliness of the newbie’s. They want to have cybersex and just cuss and IM flood. Then if they learn a simple trick they think they are hackers.

AOL is ok for new ppl as long as they steer clear of the chat rooms. when they learn how to surf and do general things on the net they ought to move on IMO because AOL wants you to stay stupid so you are dependent on them. and when you do have a prob with their software they are seldom very helpful. Local IPSs VALUE their customers so they are often very helpful but the big boys never are. AOLs software requires to many resources and is buggy but local ISPs just need what windows already has. The advertising is also a big minus with AOL IMO.

Last but not least AOL users have very little privacy. It is a fact that they know every move you make while browsing and clicking their internal links so they can SELL that information to make money of peoples likes and interests. In short many of us when we hear the word SPYWARE AOL comes to mind as the biggest spies of them all....

I likke AOLe causse i git thhe dannncin' laddie two daaace to all mye hAxx0r muusic. Den sheee striiips off her cloothes!

So easy to use no wonder it's giving the completly mindless the abilty to act like computer experts! :D

Jeezus- dont know what all the fuss is about AOL. I've been using the internet on and off for about 8 years, so I certainly am no newbie. I use AOL because its the best connection you can get over here in the UK (as TwoZigZag says, all others have a 2 hour usage limit) apart from ADSL/Broadband which is not available where I am.
I only actually use AOL for the connection - as soon as its fired up it gets minimised and I do all my browsing in IE, so if I get booted I still wont lose the page I was viewing as it stays open in IE - not that I ever get booted from AOL, it really is a rare occurrence.
I agree about the software being shite ( I work on tech support for a well known pc manufacturer and the amount of Windows installs AOL has killed is frankly unbelievable) and the browser is pretty much pants as well. But until adsl is more freely available over here (and cheaper) I'm stuck with it.

As for ZAnwar, if you really don't get booted from Freeserve every 2 hours you are 1 in a million. I used it for 12 months and was religiously kicked off after 2 hours of surfing (you could set your watch by it). I also have 4 mates who use it and they too get booted every 2 hours.

If there is another ISP out there in the UK that anyone knows about that doesn't kick you off every 2 hours then please, let me know, as I just cannot find 1 :mad:

o'k guy's get ur head's round this little problem:D....................

if ur an aol member u can have a bigger puzzle....

o.k as u may have read earlyer on i kept on gettin an error,but just on my username. i reinstalled aol + all woz fine, i replaced my favorites list wid 1 i'd saved earlier, all woz fine, i replaced my pfc + all woz fuked on my username:mad: i have got it down to 1 file

it's in program files>>aol7.o>>organize>>cache

it's called "henrysaunders06" if i delete it i can select my screenname + every 1 else's but pfc ets don't work + every 1 get's an error sayin cannot load address book,also all the pfc's don't work:confused:

if i leave it all is fine 4 every 1 else except when i select my username aol crashes:mad:

try figurin this 1 out guy's:D

does sum 1 wan't 2 reply even if it jus pushes the thread up?:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back