AOL Turns Off Windows Messenger

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by coathanger007, Oct 26, 2003.

1. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Paul Roberts, IDG News Service
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...093&e=3&u=/pcworld/20031024/tc_pcworld/113108
    Internet service provider America Online is taking aggressive steps to combat spam and close a security loophole by turning off a Microsoft Windows feature that spammers are exploiting to display pop-up messages on users' desktops, AOL said.

AOL used an update of its software to disable the Windows feature without the knowledge or consent of AOL subscribers, raising questions about the ethics of the change.

The feature in question, known as Windows Messenger Service, enables network administrators or network devices to display messages on users' desktops, but it has few applications for home users, according to Richard Smith, an independent security expert based in Boston.

Using text commands entered from a command prompt, users can create a pop-up window containing messages on other users' desktops connected over a home network, corporate network, or the Internet, Smith said. Spammers discovered the feature a year ago and immediately began using it to barrage unsuspecting users with pop-up messages containing solicitations, he said.

For spammers, Windows Messenger Service has advantages over e-mail. The spammer's message appears on top of the desktop, without requiring any user action to display it. Even more important, spammers do not need to know any e-mail addresses to get their message out to Windows users, just the IP addresses of Windows machines, Smith said.

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

AOL Turns Off Windows Messenger

Good!:)

3. coathanger007

There's a wealth of I.T news that NTFS.org isn't capturing. Come on guys, pull your socks up ! :)

4. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Keep up the good work and maybe you'll be a mod one day (pending my approval of course).:rolleyes: :D ;) :p

5. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

1st off, this story was posted :p

2nd, why not submit it the right way, with the submit news button on the front page

6. coathanger007

Wow...that certainly got a response. Thought admin was sleeping on the job :p

7. coathanger007

Finally found the 'submit news' link. Couldn't have been more insignificant all on it's lonesome there on the side where no one pays attention :D

8. coathanger007

Shucks...you beat me on this one Jewelzz but there's always next time :D

9. Jewelzz

We'll submit it if it hasn't been submitted already and/or it's news worthy.

Never

You're the only one that never saw it, all the other members use it to submit news.

Good luck :p You'll beat me on days I'm working and don't have time to search and post news ... like today

10. coathanger007

ROFL. That really got ya going. Don't worry, that was just a wake up call. I'll leave your job to you - I've got other things to do. :)

11. Jewelzz

One more thing ... We're always looking for news posters :D So if you think you have what it takes, PM [e]-Punk, he'll get you set up :)

12. coathanger007

After exams...possibly. :)

13. coathanger007

Hey, Jewelzz, if you're browsing...are you and the only news poster? The frontpage hasn't been updated in a while !
    Oh, and one other thing, if you made your 'submit news' button more prominent, more members would lend you a helping hand with updates :)

14. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

We have some mod chips in ??:) ;) - thats what i thought it said at first :D
    I was wondering "in what?"

15. coathanger007

Great, I see you've updated. But why aren't any of my posts up there?
    I don't see anything wrong with most of my articles.

16. Jewelzz

Exactly. I don't have time to search the forums plus all the other sites I go to to find news

17. coathanger007

Why search the entire forum??? This section is headed 'News Headlines' so if anyone wanted to post some News Headlines they'd do it here in the 'News Headlines' section. :)

18. coathanger007

For goodness sakes, just read the description for this section:

'This is where you can post uncovered news or discuss news that is currently on the front page. If you are posting news, please quote the source and we may add it to the front page.'

19. Jewelzz

coathanger: 1st let me start by saying ... most members don't post news in this section that they want on the front page, the use the submit news button.

Before you start to criticize us and the work we do (or lack there of as you seem to see it), I suggest you try what we do for a month or so... then come back and criticize us, tell us our faults, give us pointers on how to do our job here at NTFS better. I know it seems we all have no life except that here, at NTFS but let me assure you, we all do have lives outside of NTFS

20. coathanger007

Honestly, I don't understand why you're taking my comments so negatively. Would you rather I showered you with praises? It would only benefit the site if constructive criticisms were made. Sure there's life outside NTFS but just remember, you're not the only one running the show.