AOL Loss

For some people the internet and computers are a scary thing, and its culture shock for them when they take their first tentative steps. AOL feeds on their fears and sells itself as a "safe" alternative. If you dont know the difference they certainly arent going to tell you.

Originally posted by Smoke286
For some people the internet and computers are a scary thing, and its culture shock for them when they take their first tentative steps. AOL feeds on their fears and sells itself as a "safe" alternative. If you dont know the difference they certainly arent going to tell you.

that is very true. we have DSL, and my mom still uses aol and connects via tcp/ip....

Brad

FACT #1 about AOL CDs.... with no wind they can be tossed 45 yards

#2 In travel emergencies they will work as a mirror to shave.
#3 15 or 20 make great additions to the tin cans behind a car with "JUST MARRIED" on it.
#4 used correctly you can use them on your edger and get a pretty straight line.

yo what are you all talking about? aol itself is a great program. very good for getting *stuff*. their email box has no limits i think. i had about 3GB once in the box and i think it can fit in more. and about the cds, i like when they send them to me, they send good cd cases with the cds :)

Been using AOL DSL for about a year (they go through Verizon)

The ONLY reason I continue for the time being is that they are still $10 a month cheaper than Verizon DIRECT ... don't ask me why.

AOL 'traps' new users by their now famous 'simple' commercials and the dumming down of Americans. Their software just sucks ... so hard.... but it's effective in that it's not compatible with ANYTHING so if you want your email, you HAVE to use their shit software ... therefore discouraging you from trying new things and moving on ...

Many people don't switch simply because of email and the fact that AOL has EASY to install software ...

considering the money involved, I can't believe more competition hasn't effectively emerged .. .but give it time ..

AOL is the fisher price of ISP and enjoying the success for now, but the more people learn ... the more will avoid them ...

Plus the f&*#ing advertisements everyday are a real nuisance and now you can't even log off with seeing another one ...

BUT it IS $10 cheaper ;-} .... hardly seems worth it.

If you use the disc's right, you can make a table stop wobbling!!!

Great for those science projects that include Saturn!!!!

Need a protractor? Use the FREE 1000 disc..... It's GGGRRRREEEAAAATTTTT!!!

The list can go on and on........

You know how to cancel AOL? You have to call the day the billing cycle ends because each billing cycle is a "contract" and they wont let you cancel during the contract period

Originally posted by xsk8zerox
You know how to cancel AOL? You have to call the day the billing cycle ends because each billing cycle is a "contract" and they wont let you cancel during the contract period
You can cancel at any time but you have to pay for that month.
This is normal business practice is it not ?????

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45

You can cancel at any time but you have to pay for that month.
This is normal business practice is it not ?????

umm.... no it sure isnt.... not for them anyways... try calling them after about a half hour of them telling you how great their service is theyll tell you about theit "contract"

Re: AOL

cable (ntl)is so poor its not worth considering(not that I can afford that either).

So how have you come to form this opinion then if you have never used it? I've got NTL-no problems for me. You won't catch me on a 56K again!!

If AOL is so simple how come you didnt know this. How to turn popups off - hit customise on the toolbar - preferences - marketing - popups - untick the box.
Now how simple is that.........

Thanks for the tip,
I know ENOUGH about AOL to know I don't want anything to do with learning their shit software ...

Are you an employee ... ;-}

Just 1 satisfied customer
What can say I must be a unique breed of surfer coz I like AOL

Re: Re: AOL

Originally posted by Limp Bizkit

So how have you come to form this opinion then if you have never used it? I've got NTL-no problems for me. You won't catch me on a 56K again!!
I've had dealings with NTL before but that was for cable tv & the quality of service from my neck of the woods was second to everbodies talk about going no where fast .......never again!!!!
As for AOL yes I know it has its problems but they've never happened to me. It would seem that peoples experience of these big companys vary greatly.

Originally posted by xsk8zerox

umm.... no it sure isnt.... not for them anyways... try calling them after about a half hour of them telling you how great their service is theyll tell you about theit "contract"
I have cancelled about 6 x months ago & never experienced these problems you speak of they charged me for the rest of the month that was it. The first time I used AOL 1 free month I stopped using it before the month was up & forgot to call them and cancell after getting my statment from the bank I rang AOL to tell them I no longer want to use their service expting to lose the £15 they had taken from my bank, then they told me I had not used up all of my free time and was entitled to a refund which was put promptly back into my account.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back