AOL Help

Alan

its only fun
Hi,

I have a mate who is new to puters and he put the AOL free120 hrs disc in his pc,[Fool]

Well his problem is everytime he boots up AOL keeps opening and wanting to connect to the net.

If any of you know how to stop this please reply.

It will have to be a step by step "How to" so i can cut and paste the answer in a e-mail for him.

Thanks for the help

Alan

bluegrab.gif

try going to msconfig and removing it from start up list ? or look around in options on aol, there should be icon near clock with autostart featurs, turn them off.

Originally posted by mafiafromrussia
try going to msconfig and removing it from start up list ? or look around in options on aol, there should be icon near clock with autostart featurs, turn them off.

Thx for the quick reply;)

The problem is he dosen't want to remove it [Fool] him not you;)

I dont know the 1st thing about AOL, but there must be some sort of option to stop it loading on boot-up, as I said he is very green with puters, thats why I want a step by step.

Thnx again
Alan

bluegrab.gif

its probably an app requesting a connection

the biggest culprit on my system is winamp

options / preferences /
untick / check for new versions at startup

:cool:

Well, according to him, its AOL launching the browser:confused: on start up.

I haven't a clue of the settings in AOL, thought someone here might.

Henyman where are you:)

Alan

bluegrab.gif

hey alan, aol is pretty good program, not isp. and i've just installed aol 8.0 myself :)

Originally posted by mafiafromrussia
hey alan, aol is pretty good program, not isp. and i've just installed aol 8.0 myself :)

Then you could be the man :D

Why is it starting on boot up?, and how dose he stop it ?

Must be something in the setting yea:confused:

Thnx
Alan

bluegrab.gif

try taking the aol icon out of the startup folder

right click aol / auto launch options /
tick do not use auto launch options.

I still think an app is requesting a connection
start / run / MSCONFIG
untick all startup items
enable startup items one at a time until AOL fires up
this will tell which program is requesting a connection

Mafia is that beta version of AOL 8 your using ???
I signed up to be a beta tester but had no word
I don't think its been released in the UK yet

hypnoeyes[1].gif

as i said above, there should be tray icon near clock, right click on it, chose autostart options. there select dont use any autostart options, and do not show tray icon. also it could be that some web page is just trying to open up at boot and aol is set to be default program to open the web page so it starts and tryes to dial. u can go to IE tools>internet options>programs and make it default. also there might be some other program trying to access the internet and aol is default dial up program. do disable that go to IE properties>connections and either change to never dial, or change default connection.

well it's supposed to be the final now. goto keyword upgrade and check it out

u should go to keyword and type "upgrade" there it'll open up the right page right away

try this link, should work in aol
aol://4344:1227.upgrade8.9420624.717947345

OK,

I will be talking to him later and give him a walk through;)

Thnx for the help

Alan

bluegrab.gif

allan i jus got here!!!! do what they say^^^^^:D

i'm also sighned up as beta tester + got no word. got email a while ago saying cuming soon....

lol, u beta testers always get your sofware late. what does that say about the software? lol
btw 2z it took me less then 10 min to get that thing lol. looks like u'll need some more time to get it :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back