AOL and Limited Account

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by oceans29, Jun 2, 2002.

1. oceans29

oceans29 Guest

When I try to log onto AOL in a limited account I get an error message that says, "Your MAIN.IDX file is damaged. Reinstall or restart. I have done both, but keep getting the same message. Is there a solution to this without changing the user status to administrator??

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Not an experienced AOLer myself, but ensure that you have the latest version, perhaps by loggins on as the admin and running an autoupdater (?)

(( Cleared the last 2 posts, they were offtopic and jsut plain daft ;)Keep the fun stuff in the appropriete forums, this section is for tech support. ))

3. oceans29

oceans29 Guest

I have the latest version installed. Not sure what you mean by an autoinstaller.

4. oceans29

oceans29 Guest

Does anyone have any other ideas??

5. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

if your using aol 7.0, you might try and uninstall that version and try version 6, see if that will take care of it, I only read this on the web have no experience with AOL, and never will.

sorry best of luck ;)

6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I said autoupdater not autoinstaller.

Some applications have the abililty to connect to the web and update their files as needed, others have this option on the menus. But like I said, I don't have or will not be trying AOL, so am not sure if it contains these features.

7. BigPete

BigPete OSNN Sexual Deviant

I think I had a problem like this years ago. Try getting through to the AOL Tech Support people via the chat room, I have never waited more than 5 minutes to talk to someone and they solved my problem on both occasions.

8. oceans29

oceans29 Guest

Thanks. That is exactly what I did and it worked great! They had me delete one file and replace my MAIN.IDX file from the backup folder. Seems to have solved the problem!