Anyone taken the MCP (70-270) Exam lately?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by BouncingSoul, Dec 18, 2007.

1. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

I want to take it ASAP. I just finished a terrible class on it, but the little I remember I want to be fresh in my mind.

I think the material is relatively easy, it's the way the class was organized that makes me question my ability to pass the exam. The class had lots of true/false, multiple multiple choice (pick 3 of the 7 answers type thing) and fill in the blank questions on its tests. The T/F were pass or fail obviosly, and I can't imagine an important certification exam having them. The multiple multiple choice sucked cause if you missed one you missed the whole thing and the fill in the blank were extra terrible because of how specific you needed to be. If you answered cmd instead of cmd.exe you got it wrong, even though its the same thing. I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows how the exam is presented to you.

Thanks

2. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

am gona be doin that exam in early jan depending on work.
    Microsoft exams are genrally a short paragrah of information, followed by a question + 4 possible awnsers, as my atachment shows. i highly recomend the Transender material for revision http://www.transcender.com/product.aspx?product%5Fid=Cert%2D70%2D270&dept%5Fid=100520

it is expensive, but i have used Transender for 2X m$ exams + 2X Comptia exams and it has been spot on in preparing me + helping me to learn as well as passing all exams with flying colors. the questions tend to be very very similar to the real exams ;)

Attached Files:

BouncingSoul likes this.
  3. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

my answer would be C :)

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I took the test over a year ago or so, but I'm sure the formats haven't changed much. They are mentally draining in the sense you have to read each and every question very carefully, and then pick out pieces that don't directly apply and could make it a different answer.

If you know your stuff and take your time I'm sure you'll be fine.

5. Henyman

that would be right ;)

6. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

common sense - never tell a user they have to do anything - unless you want to work late nights fixing things :D

7. kcnychief

8. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I did 70-210 myself some time ago but it can still count towards a 2003 MCSE.

Just got the books for 70-290, 70-291, 70-293 and 70-294 and will be looking at taking the first two in January ;)

9. kcnychief

Took those too, cake.

I'm thinking you could probably even ace them without books mate.

10. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I have spent so long not doing things the Microsoft way I think I will need to read them.

11. BouncingSoul

Okay, thanks for the answers. I had no idea what the answer to that above question was, I know it wasn't covered in my crappy class.

12. kcnychief

Good point and tip to the rest - things on the exams are the "MS Way", not necessarily the best way or way you do them :)

13. Henyman

so true, there are quciker or easyer ways to do most things. am due to take 70-270 on 9th jan with any luck. am tryin to find time to read aprox 780 pages of 70-290 :(

14. BouncingSoul

Ok, still haven't taken it, work has kept me busy. I found a free practice exam and now I REALLY don't think I can pass it. I got 26 out of 50 right (terrible, I know) but the ones I missed I just don't understand if its a legit question. For example:

A) seemed obvious and D) seemed pointless. So I got A) right. However I picked the wrong IE version and hence got the whole question wrong. Two things about this question, 1) Of all the setups I've done; I've NEVER seen the option to do a dynamic update. I assume its there since they ask the question, I just don't know where. 2.) XP comes with IE6 right? So why are my choices 4.0 & 5.0? I guessed 5 and was wrong. Pretty much all of the questions I missed were like this. Old, seemingly pointless stuff. Is Microsoft really interested in your ability to memorize inane details or is this practice test that out of date?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  15. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

yes

16. BouncingSoul

Wonderful.

17. BouncingSoul

Reps for the Transcender recommendation Heny. That thing rules! I took a mini exam and got 13/15 right, which is 87%, does anyone know if thats a passing score?

18. Henyman

Transender is as close to the real exam as you will get, do a full practice exam ;)

i passed my 70-270 with a score of 889 today :D

kcnychief likes this.
  19. BouncingSoul

Grats dude!

20. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

congrats!