Anyone sick of receiving unasked for PM spam?

H

H@cher

Has anyone received any personal message spam yet?

Annoying isn't it?

(Right about here is when i offer to SELL you the answer!)

Well, not today my friend.

Download yourself ShootTheMessenger - a free, tiny little program that can deactivate this annoyance.

http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

If this new trend annoys you as much as it does me, then your prayers have been answered!!!

Has anyone seen a solicitation in this forum?

Annoying isn't it?

Since you are advertising a free product, I guess this doesn't go against forum guidelines... but that doesn't change the fact that it is an annoying way to suggest an application. If you've used it, then share your personal experience with it. If you haven't used it, then you probably shouldn't be recommending it.

wow.

take a chill pill my friend.

i am not selling anything. Its not even my program. I used it and was impressed by it, so i decided to share it.

By the way, have you ever heard of sarcasm?

I know you're not selling anything... I stated that already. I do know sarcasm, because my previous post was full of it. Your post didn't look like sarcasm to me, but instead it seemed to be a sales pitch or way to increase traffic to a site. I went ahead and checked the link, and found that you don't seem to be affiliated with the site or application.

Anyhow, like I already stated, the most effective way to suggest something is to share your positive experience with it. Also, while I'm sure this app will do the trick, there are solutions to this issue that are posted in the Security section of this forum. Perhaps you could inform dealer of this program, and maybe he will include it on the list.

Link: Spyware - Cleaning and Prevention

Steve Gibson and grc.com has created alot of interesting little proggies there and I have used many of them.
Had not heard of "ShootTheMessenger"... but then, I don't use Messenger anyway. :p

Give us an example of how it has worked for you H@cher. Very curious... but not enough to start usin Messenger or any other instant messaging proggy. :D

Gonaads,

messenger is a built-in feature of xp, and lately, whilst connected to the net, i have been getting PM type spam. I could not disable it, and it started really annoying me, especially whilst playing games!!!

I downloaded this prog, and it disabled messenger and all the messages from people like "Janitagirl" and all the other cr*p has stopped.

Give it a try, if you are ever pi**ed off by this type of spam.

Your talkin about the "netsend" messenger thing arent you.
Easiest thing is just to disable the Messenger Service. I am sure thats all that program does. GRC does have some good stuff, but it always seems to be a bit behind.

Originally posted by H@cher
Gonaads,

messenger is a built-in feature of xp, and lately, whilst connected to the net, i have been getting PM type spam. I could not disable it, and it started really annoying me, especially whilst playing games!!!

I downloaded this prog, and it disabled messenger and all the messages from people like "Janitagirl" and all the other cr*p has stopped.

Give it a try, if you are ever pi**ed off by this type of spam.

[try this]

Stop Messenger Service Popups

The Messenger Service, not to be confused with Windows Messenger, is used to send messages across a network or LAN. Spammers have found that they can exploit this to send messages to your computer, when you're connected to the Internet. However, the Messenger Service is not the problem. The reason that they can send these messages is that your Internet connection is not secure. The use of a firewall will stop these messages. For detailed information on Windows XP's built-in firewall, open Help and Support and search for "firewall".

To enable XP's built in firewall, Open Network Connections, or right click My Network Places and select Properties.

Right click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect and select Properties.

On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:

To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

If you have a valid reason to run without a firewall, then you can disable the Messenger Service. Go to Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC. Locate the entry for Messenger. Double click this entry and set it to Stopped and Disabled.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back