anyone played DIRT?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by -seek-, Jul 11, 2007.

1. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

Looks like a off-road Need for Speed form the trailers and pic..

How does it play?

2. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

try the demo,
    love it on xbox360

3. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I have it on PC and its pretty fun, its not as realistic as the previous Colin Mcrae Games. Its not really like NFS, in that you dont upgrade your car and you dont street race... or run away from cops or anything like that. Its a real race simulator, in a race environment.

Check out the Demo, just remember the full game has wayyyy more. There are Rally Cars, Rally/Offroad Trucks, Buggys, SUV's, Big Trucks and some really neat tracks.

-seek- likes this.
  4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Fyi, Need for Speed basically took some stuff from Test Drive and developed it into a street racing thing :)

Colin McRae's series is quite different and usually I am a huge fan. Haven't played Dirt yet though.

I am waiting for the patch for TDU before I start playing it again :D

I finished it and want to try it again with the new cars.

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

NFS was around way before test drive.

The street racing games were coined when "the fast and the furious" was all the rage. EA struck gold and the rest is history.

6. Aprox

Pretty much sums it up Lord, however NFS was already heading that direction with the upgrades in NFS:porche Unleashed (best NFS game imho) and the cop action in NFS:Hot Pursuit 1 I think it was a pretty natural transition into the street racing genre. But I do still agree with you about The Fast and the Furious and all that.

7. Sazar

Original release dates.

Need for Speed - 1995

Test Drive - 1987

If by way before, you mean almost a decade later, yes, I agree with you :smoker:

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Yes I do. Test drive back then had you as a test driver not a racer as unlimited pits you as now.

9. Sazar

Dude, I grew up playing Test Drive, to suggest it didn't have you racing is just wrong :) It did. Perhaps not with other competitors there but that was introduced soon after and well before NFS came to the market.

The bolded part below is the main reason I refer to this because that level is almost identical to what Test Drive had in it's original incarnation :cool:

Heck from the 2nd version onwards there have been more and more races, just like in TDU, with computer opponents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Drive_(video_game)#_note-0

10. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Odd. The test drive I played on the Atari ST just had you as a test driver, not racing.

11. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Very much enjoyed the DiRT demo on the 360, however, I'm too busy with Forza 2 at the moment, I may still purchase it later on though :)

12. sindustrial777

sindustrial777 OSNN Addict

My friend has it on 360, its pretty fun but the PGR series has always been my favorite

13. emeritus

emeritus Beware the Monkeys!!!

I've played the PC demo and I enjoyed the gameplay and the graphics. My problem is I have never been a big fan of rally racing, at least as a game. Don't get me wrong I have Colin McRae 2005, and both of the V-Rally games. They are fun, but I haven't finished any of them.

14. Aprox

You know what else is fun? Playing with actual dirt. Go outside and pickup a handful and throw it up in the air and let it fall down on you. You should be giggling and running around in circles while you do this.

15. Caserno

Caserno OSNN Junior Addict

I have been playing DiRT with a wireless 360 controller on my PC, it runs really well but it would be good to be able to remap the buttons.

16. emeritus

emeritus Beware the Monkeys!!!

Well, I broke down and got it. I like it, but guess what I ran in to. That damned Starforce protection scheme. Asking for a CD key that does not exist. So, I wrote to Codemasters, and they want my DXDiag.txt. I am so tired of publishers, automatically assuming that my PC hardware is the issue. For once, I would like them to admit that they goofed, and you would think, that they would have learned their lesson, with TOCA 3 and Colin McRae 2005, and the Starforce issues!!!

Ok, I've vented, any suggestions as to how I can get it to work. I am using a NODVD hack right now just to play it...sigh.