Anyone offer any help with this?

D

DrEvil

Ok, the wife and I recently did a massive upgrade to both of our systems. We both got identicle setups, with the exception of slight hard drive differences.

Specs:

athlon xp 2100+
Asus A7V266-E mobo
1gig DDR
sound blaster audigy platinum
linksys 10/100 nic
visiontek extasy geforce 4 ti 4600 128meg

I built them both myself, very nice gaming rigs and run very smoothly and have no problems at all besides the following minor problem that I would still like to fix.

Whenever I go to restart windows and it goes through its little shutdown/restart screen it freezes at the location where it would reboot.

This is the only problem I have whatsoever with these systems, and it happens on both. Rather than rebooting itself when it should, it stops and I have to manually reboot the system. This is more an annoyance than anything.

Anyone have any idea what might be the problem here? Could a wrong hookup on the motherboard cause this or something? How does the OS tell the mobo to reboot when it reaches that point?

Thanks in advance for any help.

do you have andvanced power managment enabled in windows?

i had a similar problem where the pc wouldn't shut down properly and turn itself off, it only does it on some pc's.... A bug?

if you go into power options in control panel there is usulay a tab in there to enable it, if there isn't its already enabled..

Hope this helps

--Nick--

im assuming your telling me it SHOULD be enabled?

extra info: not using the RAID on either system

ill check that when i get home in a bit.

Sorry... :) yes it should be enabled.. Its been a long day!

--Nick--

Try this and see if it helps........

open up your regedit.......

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control

Click on the "Control" Folder
In the right window you will see this key WaitToKillServiceTimeout
Double click that key and set it a value lower than 2000 - we set ours to 100
Reboot

:cool:

ok, neither of these ideas fixed the problem. I go to shutdown or restart and it goes to the shutdown screen saying "saving settings" then the next message after that is something like "windows is shutting down" or something and stops there, no hard drive activity or anything.

I went to control panel and there is a power options there which currently has everything set to "never". I assume that advanced power management is enabled here?

Anyone have any other ideas for my problem? Thanks

did u have the via 4 in 1, and did u do the windows update, i think they fixed a bug like this not sure though.

i never installed via 4 in 1. thats off the mobo cd right ?

what is it, and do i really need it? I try to install as little as possible stuff unless I really need it.

4in1 is the drivers for the mobo, download the latest ones rather then using the cd's version. you should install these

i'd forget about using the drivers on the cd that came with the motherboard. your better off getting the newest drivers. you can get them at:

www.viaarena.com

If I rember right their is also a patch file reguired for some of the AMD chipsets. YOU might try the AMD Website

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back