Anyone know HD benchmark app or somesuch?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

London, UK
    Well - background to this question is here only I thought this would be clearer as a new thread rather than a resurrection.

Latest thing is my RMA resulted in the notebook being returned today - one week later, which is quite good. Not so good was that they had incorrectly inserted the HD with the little metal flanges/clips that ground/spring load the HD in the bay protruding outwards. I reinserted myself - powered up and so far all seems well. In doing this I inspected the drive and realised I really shoulda made a not of the old s/n to assure myself I was getting replacement. Ah well live and learn, at least I have it back now.

Which brings me to my question - I know there are utilities out there for testing memory to ensure all is well, does anyone know of such a thing for Hard Drives? I'd really like to give this one a sort of decent burn in period before I go around the loop of configuring the 20 odd GB I want to entrust to my notebook... so any help would be appreciated :)

BTW before someone tells me I do realise this will possibly shorten the drives overall lifespan and that is something I am more than happy to accept given the way it crashe don me with my notebook under one month old the first time round! I really want to establish if maybe there is a Fujitsu brand problem here - then I may look into replacing with a more rugged make at my own expense. Thanks guys :)
  2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Pacific Northwest
    Try HD Tach. Works fine for me. It also does write testing, so you could test the drive's longevity with a long bench. Also, any low-level formatting utility will touch every sector if you want to do that.