Anyone know German?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Gary Pandher, May 25, 2004.

1. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

if anyone here knows german
    can you tell me what this word means
    'babooshka'
    im guessing thats how its spelled..thats kinda of like how it was pronounced but not sure how its spelled...not sure what it means at all..if it is offensive im sorry didn't mean to..just wanted to know what it meant.

2. electrickpirate

electrickpirate pirate extraordinaire

its not german, its russian

a woman's headscarf folded into a triangle and tied under the chine; worn by Russian peasant women
    and btw, its spelled babushka

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

ep *he'll have to be lower case! ;) ) is right, although I am guessing it maybe getting used in a German way to have a slightly racial stereotyping angle, hard to say without the context.... if you could give that I could be sure - but it mught mean the sort of women who would wear that item - with children more or less grown, still going to market, gossiping, somewhat old-fashioned... you get the idea maybe?

Of course in the Kate Bush song it was something else again - so context is everything!

4. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Baboushka is Russian and originally means grandma'.

5. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Kate Bush I am sure sung a song about it, in the 70's, spose you groovers are too young to remember it.

6. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Babushka in russian is "Grandma" (Deduska for grandpa).
    For some reason people also call Nesting dolls babuska, which is totally wrong, their correct name is Matrioshka.
    I think in German it has some kind of mythological meaning, but I'm not sure what it is.

7. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

i'll try and find out the context it was in and get back to u guys..thanks :) the guy who said it was from germany soo yea maybe he was speaking russian i dunno lol