anyone know anything about segmentation faults ?

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
much like the error i had before with freebsd - i am getting the dreaded seg fault error when installing perl 5.8 - unlike last time i had this error its only this port that is erorring - it will compile just not install.

Every other package i have compiled installs fine - i did notice while geting an update to the port tree that there were about 150 patches, could these be a factor.

Seems raather strange its only doing it on one package at install to /usr

What errors are you getting exactly?

And no, the patches are not a factor. Those patches are for updating the ports tree structure.

/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/perl/man/man3/Unicode::Normalize.3
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/perl/man/man3/Unicode::UCD.3
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/perl/man/man3/User::grent.3
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/perl/man/man3/User::pwent.3
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/perl/man/man3/XS::APItest.3
Bus error (core dumped)
*** Error code 138

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/perl-5.8.8.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8/work/perl-5.8.8.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8.

is the error i get when it gets to the install part, yet i have compiled lighttpd php sql mc kernel and loads of other packages, its just perl 5.8 that is being a pain

will try it again see if i can get the full error

Last edited:
seems i have managed to sort it - dont know if it was where i deleted the file from distfiles fodler and let it re-download it or if it was because i installed some other packages, more than likely a bad download but would have thought the md5 check would have picked that up

I generally find segfaults are pointing at hardware issues. Usually memory faults, rarely cpu faults.

strage how it was doing it on one package at the same place everytime, yet i could build evrything else just fine, still all is working fine now :)

edit: after doing a bit more googling i dont think this is a segfault, just an error to let you now it couldnt comlete and stoped - the dump bit is a bit misleading

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back