Any Idea?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by omg its nlm, Feb 9, 2006.

1. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

So we have ebay.com blocked at work so no one can get to it. I know we set this up in the firewall, but my co-worker can get to it! Any idea what he is doing to get to that site? (I am on the applications side of things not the networking just wondering) I am not looking for any how to or anything like that.

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

go through a proxie? proxyking.net

omg its nlm likes this.
  3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Yeah, what Khayman said is most likely. You could also try it going through Google's translation tool -- just don't translate it into another language. :p

There is actually a thread in the Green Room (several pages deep, though) about ways to circumvent the blockage of sites. It listed a bunch of sites.

4. omg its nlm

Thanks, he is sneaky sneaky.

5. omg its nlm

You have a link to the green room thread? I search and browsed. There is so much out there I could not find it.

Thanks

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

I think it was after August but before the crash. It's likely gone.

omg its nlm likes this.
  7. omg its nlm

Thanks for the heads up.

Now that I think of it, I used to used some kind of annoymous surf program. Does that work the same way?

8. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

The problem with proxy avoidance is that good gateway/security suites (such as Websense) block them. Not only does it have built in protocol blocking for proxy avoidance but it also receives real time updates around the clock. I tested several of the links mentioned in that thread against Websense (because as an administrator threads like this make me mad – don’t try and defeat my security!) and there was only one that was “Uncategorized” and that was quickly changed.

Surf programs normally operate on a different port and once again, good security prevent access to those ports; I have my firewall configured to allow traffic for HTTP (80) and HTTPS (443) for my users (172.16.1.50 - 172.16.1.150), servers have more access and the Exchange server obviously has access to SMTP.

9. omg its nlm

don’t try and defeat my security! <--- yeah I know what you are saying lol. I tried a few and they were blocked. Oh well, at least I know now. :)