Any good HD defrag alternatives to XP's?

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Using NTFS in Win XP. Searched the forums but only hit was a 2 year old post by Waddy.

Looking for something that will defrag and compact the files on my HD. Windows XP leaves empty areas all through the disk so it constantly fragments again.

Any suggestions?

uhm.... i am rather fond of PerfectDisk. believe it's made by Raxco. which reminds me that i have to find that again

maybe your right , i dont know wich is the best, i just like perfect disk very much :)

according to the makers of PerfectDisk, PerfectDisk arranges the files on the hard drive in a more efficient way than DiskKeeper

I've tried PD and Diskeeper. Not sure which is better but I prefer Diskeeper for ease of use. XP's internal defrag is actually a cut down version of Diskeeper 7.
I haven't played around with PD enough to say whether or not it's better than Diskeeper, but I did find it confusing at first with regards to offline defrag and stuff like that.

Ming, how is it confusing? Offline Defrags just mean that it will Defrag your computer on the next reboot, before it starts windows. the other 2 options if you don't do an offline (maybe if you do an offline too, don't remember) is either a normal Defrag, or the one that arranges the files so they are accessed more efficiently, moves the MBR to the optimal position on the hard drive, and makes the hard drive need defragging less often.

ElementalDragon said:
Ming, how is it confusing? Offline Defrags just mean that it will Defrag your computer on the next reboot, before it starts windows. the other 2 options if you don't do an offline (maybe if you do an offline too, don't remember) is either a normal Defrag, or the one that arranges the files so they are accessed more efficiently, moves the MBR to the optimal position on the hard drive, and makes the hard drive need defragging less often.
Well first of all, for a first-time user of PD, how would they know that offline = next boot?

.......maybe because it tells you so? if you would read into it i believe it tells you right underneath where it says "offline defrag".

ElementalDragon said:
.......maybe because it tells you so? if you would read into it i believe it tells you right underneath where it says "offline defrag".

It's been awhile since I did an offline defrag with PerfectDisk but you can run an offline defrag on a non-boot drive w/o having it take place on the next boot. As long as PD can lock the drive then you can run the defrag right then. Maybe this has changed. Obviously if it is a boot drive it will take place the next boot and it tells you this when you attempt to run the defrag.

I registered Diskeeper at one point. Sad to say I was disappointed by it and it actually totally hosed my system on a number of occasions because of install/uninstall issues. I threw it away and will never touch it again. Sorry, but I consider it garbage.

As much as I love PerfectDisk I do have one particular issue with PD and it might have been changed since they upped from v5 to v6. When I registered v5 I got a retail download and you had to download and run each consecutive update in order to get your PD totally up to date. You couldn't download the latest update, install it, and be ok. This meant if you are like I am and save all your installation files for software that you are wasting space with all these in-between updates. Some might think this is a sad complaint but when I do a clean install I have all the software AND updates I need without even going online. This speeds up the whole installation/configuration process. This may have been resolved with v6 but I haven't had to do a clean install so I have no idea.

Other than my irritation at the updates process PerfectDisk wins hands down.

Thanks all. Went with Perfect Disk. Their 30 day trial talked me into it. And a lot cheaper for XP PRO than Diskeeper.

A good choice. PerfectDisk 6.0 does a very thorough job.
smile.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back