Anti-Virus Software [Again]

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Geffy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

We have no doubt done this before but as we all know times change. I've recently setup Windows in a BootCamp partition on my MacBook and was wondering what peoples recommendations would be for Anti-Virus software.

If it helps the majority of the stuff I will be doing within it will be checking emails, while I trust most of the senders you always get some oddballs so having some Anti-Virus in place is going to be a good idea

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Commercial you have two choices: NOD32 or Kaspersky.
    Free you have one choice: AOL Active Virus Sheild.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

4. Daeron Tinúviel

Daeron Tinúviel OSNN Senior Addict

i use AVS but since a Vista version is out is been crap for me....doesnt want to update, try diferent things and no luck so i went back to AVG

5. Geffy

Many thanks, I'll go install this when I next boot into Windows, going through parallels it keeps biotching about activation which I've already done so thrashing the parallels forums for a solution to that.

6. Tarun

Tarun www.lunarsoft.net

Avast is the best freeware antivirus available.

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

no it's not. Do not contradict.

8. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Well, you were talking about Sheilds.

He might have been talking about Shields.

9. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

I've been using the free version of Avast now for about three months and it's been great. (knock on wood).

I think they all work quite well really.
    And since most of you are savvy enough to know a suspicious file when you see one, the debate over which brand/version of AV makes you feel more secure is really mostly a subjective personal preference.

A friend had a bad experience with Norton AV years back and would never use Norton's again. And one co-worker says she likes the colors of the AVG icon on her taskbar. I like Avast because it seems very light on my machine...

I would suggest going with a free version first, practice safe surfing, and see if that suits your needs/preferences, or color scheme ;-)

BTW, I also switched to a free defragger after using diskeeper for years and I don't miss it at all!

10. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

If I have to tell one more person that AV is not subjective to the user but actual ability of the virus scanning engine I'm going to explode.

I don't care if you like the pretty colours of AVG. I don't care if Avast is light on your machine. They do not protect you. At all.

You have the three choices I listed earlier. Use them or use nothing.

11. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

Them's mighty strong opinions Lordy. Using your same logic, the millions of people in the world who are using Kaspersky, Nod32, Norton's, Trend PCcillin et al, are totally unprotected.

Like I said, it's really a matter of opinion. I'm no techie, but I practice common sense, make constant backups, so I don't have to worry needlessly. And I bet my experience with malware, virus attacks and trojans is no worse than yours.

That's my two cents.

12. segamil

segamil OSNN Addict

My apologies for not reading your first three choices (you know what I mean). By the way I have used like Kaspersky and liked it a lot except for the price.

13. Geffy

Avast, light on your machine? jeebus the damn thing throws a fit and blocks my entire machine when I download my office email. This is on my desktop not my laptop which i am to be installing avs to shortly

14. Daeron Tinúviel

i love to use again AVS but i have format 2 times, re-download the damn software and still it doesnt update......i google it for a solution but so far nothing has help me, so AVG for me, and if u have caution u dont get a virus....

15. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

What's a going on? What ever happened to speaking to fellow members using manners? No one dare ask or answer question's these days for fear of being pounced on.

16. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

People being silly get pounced on.

People perpetuating spam, worms and viruses by using ineffctive software get pounced on.

People being sensible get manners.

17. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

People preaching their own opinions as fact should get pounced on.

18. _kC_

_kC_ Moderator

lol:smoker: or just plain ignored :)

re: update issues there is a post on wilders...

19. Daeron Tinúviel

thkz!!! that did the trick!

20. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

I've been a fan of using Avira recently. www.free-av.com

I've used AVG, AVS, Avast. I liked AVS which was good but I'm always testing something new.

Hell at home I'm testing the 2.0 beta of Windows One Care, even though the 1.5 was one of the worst programs I've ever had on a system of mine.

if you surf and use the internet safely I think any will do. some are worse than others...if my wife didn't use my computer I wouldn't use one at all probably.