Another question: Video Card Driver problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by gmagnuson, Nov 20, 2003.

1. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

Ok, Here is another problem I have. I am trying to upgrade my video card ATI drivers, but in order for me to do that it says "Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup." I cannot find the standard adapter, I looked in my driver listing, and I unselected the box that said show compatible hardware. I am not sure what to do. I tried restarting in Safe-Mode, but then it can't find the adapter. If I uninstall it and restart my computer it automatically installs my old driver before I can install the right one. Thanks!

I have the ATI Radeon 8500 64MB card

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

download the latest ati catalyst drivers from ati.com... the link is on our frontpage...

when you install the software go to the folder programs > ati technologies > uninstall

uninstall every ati software you have installed... reboot and then reinstall all the software relevant to your card...

3. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

I did that and when I rebooted, it still was able to find the card.

4. Sazar

well if its doing that just install the new drivers over the old ones...

it should automatically upgrade to the new ones...

if you could take screen caps of what you get when you try and install the software it would help some..

btw... uninstalling the software should have worked...

try also do delete all said folders with the ati software when you are uninstalling... prior to clicking on the reboot button...

5. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

I showed the current driver it auto installed after I restarted. Let me know what else you need shots of.

6. Sazar

thats really odd...

did you try what I suggested ? about using ati's uninstaller and then prior to rebooting... deleting all ati folders as well ?

7. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

yes, I delete all of those ATI folders

8. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

and ran the installer

9. Sazar

just to be clear... sorry if I am slow on the uptake..

you ran the uninstaller... then deleted the folders... then you rebooted... and it still asked you to install default drivers ?

if it is... try and install the drivers for your card from your original ati cd and then once those are installed... try installing updates over them...

10. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

I did that, I really don't want to go back to my origional drivers if I don't have to. I am going to be in the chatroom maybe I can explain some more.... if you are going to be around for a few more minutes.

11. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

Ok, Because I don't have the time right now to take all of the PCI cards ot of the Computer and put them back in. I just did a system restore. I was able to get it back to normal. Thanks for your help. I will keep it in mind when I attempt it agian some day when I have more time. Thanks!

12. Sazar

good news :)

if it works leave it alone m8 :D at least for now... I dunno what was causing the problem off the top of my head but drivers/registry entries seem to be playing a part... in terms of how windows does things...