(Another) iBook Rumor

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
This is from AppleInsider. They've been pretty accurate lately with their information.

Apple Computer appears ripe to extend its Front Row media experience to a new line of iBook consumer laptops this spring.

Introduced this past October, Apple's Front Row software offers users a simple and powerful way to play their music, enjoy photo slideshows, and watch video such as DVDs, iMovies, and programming purchased from the company's iTunes Music Store.

This spring Apple is expected to roll-out the a new series of iBook consumer laptops built around a 13-inch widescreen display. The new models will sport the first major design revision to the iBook in several years and come bundled with both Front Row and the Apple Remote, people familiar with the company's plans tell AppleInsider. Like Apple's new iMac Core Duo and MacBook Pro computers, the new iBooks will also feature a built-in iSight video cam and come bundled with the company's Photo Booth software, these people say.

Although processor specifications for the upcoming iBook series remain largely unconfirmed, it's only logical to assume the laptops will be powered by Intel's 1.67GHz Core Solo processor -- the only processor on the chip maker's roadmap suited for a laptop that is neither equal to, nor greater than, the Core Duo chips used in Apple's MacBook Pro laptops. As the name implies, Intel's Core Solo processors contain one processing core, compared to the Core Duo's two.

Keeping true to its roots, the iBook's industrial design is expected remain similar to the current models. One person who claims to have caught a glimpse of the nearly-finalized prototype describes it as a slightly-smaller cousin to the recently introduced MacBook Pro, but clad in iMac white. Meanwhile, rumors that Apple's Intel-based iBooks would arrive without support for FireWire are untrue, this person said. The new models are said to retain a single FireWire 400 port in addition to two USB 2.0 ports.

Although Apple has reportedly decided to base the new series of iBooks around a single enclosure and display size, it's still expected that the laptops will arrive in at least two retail configurations -- one with a SuperDrive and the other without. The latter model will fall within the sub-$1000 range currently occupied by the 12-inch PowerPC-based 1.33GHz iBook. All configurations will include an infrared sensor in the front of the laptop capable of communicating with the Apple Remote. This will allow users to control the included Front Row software on their iBook from up to 30 feet away.

Of interest, those people familiar with Apple's plans say the company at one point seriously considered adding a black-colored Intel iBook model to its offering. However, no such model has ever been seen, and with the development of the new laptops winding down, this option seems unlikely. The idea was reportedly inspired by the success of Apple's black iPods, which instantly became a hit with consumers when Apple introduced its iPod nano digital music player this past September.

It remains unknown whether Apple will re-brand the iBook under new name like it recently did with the PowerBook line.

Wish we had a more definite time-frame than "Spring," but at least they are coming soon. I can't wait to get my hands on one! :D

That is cool but Apple seriously need to get Front Row on there Mac Mini so people can put the small little MiniMacs inside there living room and use it as a decent media center if Apple want to get into the living room more.

I want a performance boost... my 2 year old PC out-performs my 5-month old iBook. :-S

Already have FrontRow on my iBook. Ahem.

Shame the CPU's will only be Solo, but I suppose it's logical... not to mention MBPro's are supposedly still running stupidly hot (Go Intel!).

sean, you must be doing something wrong.

this is tough, was planning on getting the MacBook Pro, but now may have to wait for the iBook. Not too big a fan of the 13inch widescreen, would rather have the 15.4 but the price difference might not be worth it when we find out the price

Your 2 year old PC outruns your 5 month old iBook? WTF? My 1 year old iBook outperforms my brothers 3.0 Ghz Intel.

Why is it so hard to believe? I've tried the iBooks at the university store and they're hardly screaming in terms of performance.

Besides, Sean's comparing the iBook to a desktop. The Sempron 2800+ runs at 2.0GHz - that's 670MHz higher than the iBook's 1.33GHz G4 in terms of raw clock speed itself (which, I know, is not the only factor involved in measuring perf). Now even if the G4 manages to outperform the Sempron, that's only the CPU. Bear in mind that the desktop is obviously running a 7200rpm drive, possibly with more disk cache too, and that's going to smoke the iBook's 4200rpm drive. The hard disk makes a world of difference in perceived speed.

I'm not surprised at all, and I doubt he's doing anything wrong.

I have used Dual G5 PowerMacs at uni and they are slower than my iBook. I dont know if its down the overloaded network there or the way they have been configured.

Geffy said:
I have used Dual G5 PowerMacs at uni and they are slower than my iBook. I dont know if its down the overloaded network there or the way they have been configured.
Yeah, if you wiped both machines clean, reloaded the OS and compared them again, I'm sure you'd notice the difference. :D

Yeah, there's no way a G4 can outperform a dual G5.

A bit more specific information:

Apple's first Intel-based iBooks, originally anticipated by Think Secret last November to arrive at Macworld Expo San Francisco, now appear slated to be announced in March, sources report.

Apple's current 12.1-inch and 14.1-inch iBooks are to be moved to End of Life status before the close of Apple's second quarter at the end of March. More recently, sources have suggested that both of those iBook models will be replaced with widescreen 13.3-inch displays.

The timing indicates that Apple could very likely pack Intel's Core Solo processor into the system. Intel has previously said the single-core sibling to the MacBook Pro's Core Duo is on track to be delivered to vendors towards the end of March. This means that while an announcement may arrive in March, the new iBooks likely won't be available in quantity until some time in April.

Sources continue to report that the iBooks will arrive clad in a new enclosure; one more significant than a mere incremental update to the current iBook's design, which Apple first delivered in 2001.

New enclosure, eh? Can't wait! :D

March, eh? Perfik for a birthday pressie methinks ;) :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back