(Another) iBook Rumor

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by muzikool, Jan 29, 2006.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

This is from AppleInsider. They've been pretty accurate lately with their information.

Wish we had a more definite time-frame than "Spring," but at least they are coming soon. I can't wait to get my hands on one! :D

2. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

That is cool but Apple seriously need to get Front Row on there Mac Mini so people can put the small little MiniMacs inside there living room and use it as a decent media center if Apple want to get into the living room more.

3. muzikool

I agree. :)

4. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

I want a performance boost... my 2 year old PC out-performs my 5-month old iBook. :-S

5. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Already have FrontRow on my iBook. Ahem.

Shame the CPU's will only be Solo, but I suppose it's logical... not to mention MBPro's are supposedly still running stupidly hot (Go Intel!).

sean, you must be doing something wrong.

6. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

this is tough, was planning on getting the MacBook Pro, but now may have to wait for the iBook. Not too big a fan of the 13inch widescreen, would rather have the 15.4 but the price difference might not be worth it when we find out the price

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Your 2 year old PC outruns your 5 month old iBook? WTF? My 1 year old iBook outperforms my brothers 3.0 Ghz Intel.

8. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Why is it so hard to believe? I've tried the iBooks at the university store and they're hardly screaming in terms of performance.

Besides, Sean's comparing the iBook to a desktop. The Sempron 2800+ runs at 2.0GHz - that's 670MHz higher than the iBook's 1.33GHz G4 in terms of raw clock speed itself (which, I know, is not the only factor involved in measuring perf). Now even if the G4 manages to outperform the Sempron, that's only the CPU. Bear in mind that the desktop is obviously running a 7200rpm drive, possibly with more disk cache too, and that's going to smoke the iBook's 4200rpm drive. The hard disk makes a world of difference in perceived speed.

I'm not surprised at all, and I doubt he's doing anything wrong.

9. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I have used Dual G5 PowerMacs at uni and they are slower than my iBook. I dont know if its down the overloaded network there or the way they have been configured.

10. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yeah, if you wiped both machines clean, reloaded the OS and compared them again, I'm sure you'd notice the difference. :D

11. muzikool

Yeah, there's no way a G4 can outperform a dual G5.

12. muzikool

A bit more specific information:

New enclosure, eh? Can't wait! :D

13. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

March, eh? Perfik for a birthday pressie methinks ;) :D