Annoying graphics error!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zedric, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I'll put this in general hardware as I'm not entirely sure exactly where the problem is. But this is the problem.

I just got my parts for the new computer today. Finally everything is up and running (had a really annoying snag befor I got AHCI and NCQ working on the hdd). Except one thing. I can't use the graphics card!

If I run 3DMark 05 it gives the error D3DERR_DEVICELOST when I try to run a benchmark. 3DMark 2001SE won't work. Nothing else either it seems. I've tried reinstalling DirectX (which I can't since it's the latest version allready) and the video drivers, but no difference.

Specs:
    P4 3.2 on an Asus P5GD1 mobo
    MSI Geforce 6600GT
    1 Gig Kingston DDR3200
    Forton/Source 400W PSU (with dual 12V rails)
    Windows XP SP2
    Tried both MSI supplied and nVidia reference graphics driver
    Dxdiag tests work ok (one said I had aborted though, but I hadn't)
    No overclocking
    Enough cooling to go around

Has anyone seen this? Trying Google turned up pretty much nothing. I really have to fix this. No fun if I can't run any games. :(

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

The only time I have had an error running 3dmark was to do with the sound driver. Updated it & away it went.

3. Zedric

Sound driver? Hmmm... But if I just benchmark it shouldn't use the sound driver, right?

4. Moonwraith

Moonwraith Moderator Folding Team

Any dodgy graphics before windows has loaded at all? (my 6800gt was screwed when i got mine)
    Got the latest drivers?

5. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

you seem like you know what your doing but.... make sure you get your drivers from www.nvidia.com and not the ones from the disc it came with, or microshaft update.

6. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

sounds like a bad card to me.. or maybe a bad os.. can you just do the simple thing and reformate i do mine every 4-6 m,onths just to clean it up. could try that.

7. Zedric

What the hell? Where did the posts from last night go?? Seems the forum reverted a few hours.

Repost then:

1. HL2 works. When I changed the resolution everyting was borked and I had to terminate it. Upon restart it ran in the new resolution without problems.
    2. nVidia demos work except "The Buglooker" which fails to produce and image (looks like it's minimized).

8. Moonwraith

Moonwraith Moderator Folding Team

It's all a conspiracy to get us back on topic

9. Zedric

Lol, must be true. :D

We installed everything in my bro's case and got it running without problems. Moving my disk to his case gave the same error as in mine. So I reformatted the whole thing and started over. Now it works like a charm! :)

We've got to fix the fan controller in the new case before it's done. And the side window. If we feel like we have the time. ;)