AnandTech's First Look at Intel's "Yonah"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NetRyder, Dec 1, 2005.

1. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

AnandTech takes a look at Intel's upcoming "Yonah" dual-core processor, intended as a successor to the current Pentium-M "Dothan" line for mobile PCs, and compares the performance to Intel's Pentium D and AMD's Athlon64 X2, the two dual-core CPU lines on the market today.

Here's the concluding excerpt:

Check out the full report at: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2627&p=1

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

That sounds tasty. When will the first laptops with this start coming out?

3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Macs will have Yonah. :lick:

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo-na/eng/201969.htm?page=6

5. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

6. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

No problem, El Grandmaster :)

Of course, these potential product insertions are always subject to change.

EDIT: I definitely will keep my eyes peeled, more so for the potential price war it will drive AMD to come down a bit I'd think?

7. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

Finally, AMD may get owned. Shakes happy. For no reason except to quiet the processor b*&th wars

8. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

You know what I found odd about that?

When I first got my 3400+, I was not blown away by the speed since I was basically moving from a pretty speedy 3.0c setup.

I was blown away by the utter smoothness of the setup even though it did not have HT. And even more so with the X2.

The dothan is a great proc and I am sure yonah will continue to blaze a trail but when looking at the benches, you can see that the X2 is consistenly right there or ahead, being behind in only a few games.

While I applaud AT's pointing out that the on-die memory controller's effect was almost negated, I am appalled that they fail to mention the significantly larger L2 cache that is employed by the intel procs in this test.

I mean if you are pointing out the benefits and the faults, be fair and critical. Yonah has a wonderful road ahead of it undoubtedly but for crying out loud, THE CACHE MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Now coming back to the on-die memory controller, anyone who has used an a64 based system knows what I am talking about when it comes to smoothness and responsiveness. It is not "faster" but it sure as heck feels like it. And this is not discussed by AT even while talking about on-die memory controllers.

I think that is a glaring miss.

9. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Sazar, the cache issue was one of the first things I noticed too. Definitely something that should have been mentioned. :)