Amd takes jab at Intel

A

Ace123

Heres something I dug up when doing my weekly computer homework. God forbid anybody know more than me Lol :0)

From anandtech website:
This one caught me by surprise while mulling around AMDZone. Microprocessor Report has awarded the AMD Athlon 64 the Best PC Processor.

The AMD Athlon(tm) 64 processor has won the Microprocessor Report Analysts' Choice for Best PC Processor at the prestigious Microprocessor Report's Analysts' Choice Awards 2002.

For the desktop and mobile markets, the upcoming AMD Athlon 64 processor competed for the award with both Intel's Pentium(R) 4 and Pentium M processors. The AMD Athlon 64 processor, designed to run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications, is planned to launch in September 2003.

Sounds like AMD has a real winner on their hands.

An ongoing discussion went on for a couple pages of disgrunteled intel fans with yelps and cries of an unreleased processor winning.

can't wait for that processor ace, I can't wait

I'm still using one gig t bird, waiting for this chip

I agree, awards are for a product that is ON the market for everyone. Was Amd scared their current product isn't good enough. I'm sure that if Intel did that you Amd fans would say the same thing.

Well amd DIDNT do it. They are elected for these things. lol

that same company awarded the gf FX best gpu of the year... so go figure...

however... @ the moment there are around 1000 opterons in operation worldwide (mainly in the US I thnk though) as amd did release a limited number of processors...

those not sure what opterons are...

The AMD Opteron™ processor simplifies your business, minimizing integration complexity by giving you simultaneous 32- and 64-bit high performance computing.

from the amd website...

P4 suxors!!!! (notice I didn't say intel) GOOO AMD!!

Originally posted by Sazar
that same company awarded the gf FX best gpu of the year... so go figure...

however... @ the moment there are around 1000 opterons in operation worldwide (mainly in the US I thnk though) as amd did release a limited number of processors...

those not sure what opterons are...

from the amd website...

come on sazar technically the FX is way more advanced then the 9700..... just has issues :)

Originally posted by Krux
come on sazar technically the FX is way more advanced then the 9700..... just has issues :)

how can you say it is technically more advanced ?

:)

it would be the other way round don't you think ?

because nvidia claims their card can do such and such makes it more advanced ? the r300 core (lets not even get into the r350 here) has more pipelines and more memory bandwidth on a larger process and runs far cooler... which has the better architecture you think ?

www.nvnews.net

thats an nvidia website... please have a read of some of the articles posted...

I'll link you to a thread that includes comments by the guy who actually is a bigshot (per his own claims btw) in the industry...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=7741

have a read through there and you will see the opinions (some heated... some knowledgable... many not so clever) and have a fair understanding of the meaning of the award :)

points raised about the amd64 processor... but like I said... having 1000 working models out there v/s an only just recently shipped (and only pre-orders being filled) version is very different...

I didn't say it performed better or was designed better but the tech is more advanced .13 micron DDR 2 and heat pipeing all of which are the "next" step in the tech tree for ATI, nvidia just implemented them wrong I dunno what they did wrong but there engineers muffed something real bad.

Originally posted by Krux
I didn't say it performed better or was designed better but the tech is more advanced .13 micron DDR 2 and heat pipeing all of which are the "next" step in the tech tree for ATI, nvidia just implemented them wrong I dunno what they did wrong but there engineers muffed something real bad.

the ati product already had PASSIVE heat pipe cooling solution way before the nvidia card came out there...

concerning the 0.13 micron process ? well ati already had products taped out on 0.13 process when nv30 was launched... and I believe sis has had a 0.13 micron process part for a long time as well...

ddr2 ? ati was the first to show a working model of a video card using ddr2 technology... and the highest performing version of teh 9800pro series will have 256mb ddr2 @ 400/460 clocks... :)

if you read the thread.. .all the points concerning the pros and cons of the argument are listed... not going to get into that...

How else do you take out a company wearing chainmail? Kick em where it hurts lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back