News AMD dropping ATI brand name

Just as Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) gets ready to reap the true fruits of its largest acquisition ever, the company is doing away with a few side effects of that deal.

The ATI brand name will soon be nothing but a memory. A $5.4 billion buyout has resulted in the revolutionary Fusion platform, which is expected to propel AMD into steady profits and technological leadership from 2011 onward. But the ATI brand itself has played its part and now only serves to dilute AMD's central brand, according to the company's own market research.

This move is but a small part in a larger overhaul of AMD's branding strategy. The current plethora of confusing product names will be boiled down significantly over the coming months: You won't need to keep track of what makes a Phenom II processor better or worse than an Athlon II or Turion, for example. Instead the company will offer "Vision" categories that summarize the processing power of AMD machines. This goes one step further than Intel (Nasdaq: INTC) and its Core i3, i5, i7 strategy: one brand to rule them all, at least for a while.

Full article at:
:source: Source: The Motley Fool

Hell Yea...
This makes me so happy. For two reasons, I've got quite a bit of AMD stock. and I flat out, love AMD!

I used to like AMD, then went with Intel and haven't looked back. AMD is too slow with innovation.

I used to like AMD, then went with Intel and haven't looked back. AMD is too slow with innovation.
Lot of people feel that way. I'm completely the opposite. I swear by AMD and hate Intel. It seems everytime I use an Intel... I am unimpressed. Granted I have never wasted money on an Intel desktop processor just to try it out, but I have extensively used all their laptop processors and have been quite disgusted at the performance I received.

EDIT: I own an Intel in this Netbook which is a good thing, Intel is great on Battery Life, which is what the point of the netbook is :D

AMD still innovates. In fact, they pulled quite a bit ahead of Intel with the Athlon processors. But instead of innovate back, Intel gave massive (and illegal) discounts to Dell and other major manufacturers if they pledged not to use AMD. Intel burned their own money to starve out their competition until they could catch up to them; they dragged down a competitor rather than try to compete. Intel is the opposite of innovation.

Intel's strategy paid off. They knew that billion-dollar settlements would be pocket change compared to how much money they would make if they starved out their competition and created the perception that "AMD doesn't innovate". It's not that they don't; it's just that they have less money to do it than they should have right now.

I always buy AMD because of my personal principles; I just don't feel right about supporting a company that screwed both competitors and consumers (us!). Intel is closer to being a mafia than a microprocessor manufacturer, since they look at the law as a speed bump.

Last edited:
AMD still innovates. In fact, they pulled quite a bit ahead of Intel with the Athlon processors. But instead of innovate back, Intel gave massive (and illegal) discounts to Dell and other major manufacturers if they pledged not to use AMD. Intel burned their own money to starve out their competition until they could catch up to them; they dragged down a competitor rather than try to compete. Intel is the opposite of innovation.

Intel's strategy paid off. They knew that billion-dollar settlements would be pocket change compared to how much money they would make if they starved out their competition and created the perception that "AMD doesn't innovate". It's not that they don't; it's just that they have less money than they have less money to do it than they should have right now.

I always buy AMD because of my personal principles; I just don't feel right about supporting a company that screwed both competitors and consumers (us!). Intel is closer to being a mafia than a microprocessor manufacturer, since they look at the law as a speed bump.
Oh my god, That is exactly, word for word how I feel. I was so happy when Intel got sued by both AMD and Nvidia. That is also the main reason why I won't ever buy Intel if given a choice. Reps for that Petros.

Haven't built an AMD box in a while, I personally, found they needed tweaks that Intel did not.
They also had an interesting (confusing) sense of math when it came to computing processor speed. Hehe, then there's was "Tri-Core" Why have quad, when you can have..err Three.

Haven't built an AMD box in a while, I personally, found they needed tweaks that Intel did not.
They also had an interesting (confusing) sense of math when it came to computing processor speed. Hehe, then there's was "Tri-Core" Why have quad, when you can have..err Three.

Hehe you gotta feel a bit sorry for AMD. They have made some awesome processors in the past but like you, I've not considered using one for a new build for some time.

Always been an AMD fan, would never buy an Intel unless it was the only choice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back