AMD Chip question

Anakist

Way too much time here...
How can I tell if my chip isnt working. I dont get a beep for post. I have two chips but I am unsure if either work. The problem is either the cpu or mobo, How can I tell?? The heatsink heats up when I turn the comp on, but it wont post.

It is after 5 now so everyone is shut for the night and I can't buy another chip.

James

the only REAL way to test components is by replacing parts with KNOWN WORKING parts. Good luck.

I'm afraid Un4gIvEn1 isright, when it comes to the guts of the computer (processor/mobo/psu), the only way to know for sure is to use known working parts...i think

I believe if your computer hasn't got a working cpu it won't even power on at all, just like it was switched off at the plug.

Just a thought .....if you replace your processor or swap it around you wont get a beep from any board, if you have a manually set multiplier that has not been set to auto or correc t no, ie x 13 for xp2100 + etc.

Originally posted by RogerPhillis
Just a thought .....if you replace your processor or swap it around you wont get a beep from any board, if you have a manually set multiplier that has not been set to auto or correc t no, ie x 13 for xp2100 + etc.
not true. it should power up and even give a beep code with no cpu in. heck, the new a7n8x deluxe tells you vocally, "no cpu installed". :p

Originally posted by taurus
not true. it should power up and even give a beep code with no cpu in. heck, the new a7n8x deluxe tells you vocally, "no cpu installed". :p
Well I never realised that:p

Are the power leads from the PSU plugging into the motherboard properly put in. There is a power ok signal which is sent down one of the cables. If the motherboard doesn't pick up on it, it won't work.

The board is an a7n8x dlx, is the post reporter on by default?? Awesome, I will have to plug some speakers in. I think it is dead so I am going to get a new on today probably.

Thanks

James

unfortunatly a system that won't post is like a car that won't start. It could be many different things. Did you try clearing the bios? Try installing just the essential components and see if it will post.

It was the chip. Gotta buy a new one.

What should I get. Best Bang for Buck, and good ocing.

James

Originally posted by Anakist
What should I get. Best Bang for Buck, and good ocing.
xp 2500+ !!!
by default it's 11x167... it is pretty much guaranteed to oc to 10x200... and 11x200 and up is likely.

xp1700 thourobred b juihcb
cant remeber the exect cpu stepping code but some of those baby's were downgraded from xp2800
can hit 2.5ghz with default voltage and good hsf like slk800
i am plaining on getting one my self
my polomino is **** for oclocking

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back