AMD 64-bit single-core processor club

Which would you recommend out of Athlon64 and Athlon FX?
What advantage does one have over the other?

I am pretty sure this has been covered in a thread - too lazy to search, now there is this thread too! May have been called a 64 bit club or sumthin....

Anyway - point is that the AMD 64 bits are emulating 86 with 64 bit addressing on them, they are not true thorobread 64 bit pure processors like the Itaniums will be. This is not knocking the AMD approach, it gets 64 bit out there and is probably more effective until all apps are ported properly to use a 64 bit architecture (which is not going to happen soon, an may only really ever happen for server apps that need it).

Why did I say all that? Because I think (and I may have this the wrong way around) that the Athlon64 does things the emulation way and the FX is closer to Itanium, having 64 bit instructions and stuff in there.... I am sure AMD cover it, and expect the FX is more expensive (if not I could have got them mixed up).

I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong! ;)

As far as I know it is fully 64 bit comaptible (even had windows64 running for an hour or so - 2 program files dir. crazy!)

It is however fully backward compaible with 32bit.

To be honest, I am not too sure what makes the FX so damn important.

performance performance performance...the FX is amd's show piece at having the crown of fastest processor available. I haven't heard anything different than that. It is by far the most powerful processor available for regular consumer desktops and Intel's EE chips can't compete with it.

I think that the way to go is amd it's just how long i can wait but the amd 3800 looks promising :)

Well, the FX-53 is currently the top processor. Beating out the P4 3.4EE on most applications. Except for MP3 encoding and a few other things. Something like that. I got most of my information from HardOCP and their testing and charts.

I want 64bit, but I'm holding off until there's a full Windows 64 version released, and we see some more applications running 64bit.

But I commend all of you for your step up to 64bit!

ok bout to build athlon 64 system in the next few weeks waiting around til prices of 939 come around and to see if any 754 stuff price drops. want to know peoples input for this stuff. Going to use the 120GB HDD and GF4 4200 out of old system til the new cards come out in full force and can save the money to get a new vid card...give all suggestions for everything...

AHANIX Black Mid-tower ATX Case, Model "X195 Black Knight" -RETAIL $58.00
ABIT "KV8" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Athlon64 CPU (thinking msi neo) $102.00
Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W $39.00
AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache 173.00
Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM 187.00
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM 91.00
KINGWIN 80mm CPU Fan for Athlon64 14.99

if this needs to be moved to it's own thread mods or smods do it

is anyone in this club actually running the free Windows 64 bit?

currently the FX processors main advantage is their dual channel memory... there are a coupla other marchitectural differences but I am sure we can cover that in a different thread :D

tuff... the reason why most of us are not running wnxp 64bit is due to lack of proper ati 64 bit drivers... the current ones are just beta's and while they work... I am a gamer first and foremost and need my good drivers :D

perhaps once there is a better driver suite out there I will consider the 'upgrade'... or punkster can take one for the team :cool:

ok I went to via arena to look for the latest drivers for my Albatron K8X800 mobo and found this Hypertransport Analyzer...It said that my upstream is 8 bit 800Mhz and downstream 8bit 800mhz...My thinking before was that you add those together to get the real hypertransport speed...let me know if I'm right

8bit?

it should be 16bit tuffgong... up and down...

HI guys just wondering if this board is any good?
Micro-Star International nForce 3 S754 AGP8x DDR ATX Audio LAN RAID. Any help would be good :)

tommy said:
HI guys just wondering if this board is any good?
Micro-Star International nForce 3 S754 AGP8x DDR ATX Audio LAN RAID. Any help would be good :)

afaik its an nf3-250 coz I don't think MSI lists an nf3-150 :)

the nf3-250 is a good board... certainly consider getting it if its an option...

yah... it says it in the product description... :)

Mainboard / Chipset Type NVidia nForce3 250

I'm in! :) My new rig's got a Athlon 64 3000+.
And it's awesome, it runs smooth as silk.

I am now the proud owner of a 64 setup...
asus a8v deluxe
3800+
1gb corsair 3200 xms XLpro
120gb hard drive
Radeon 9600

Just need to get my 6800 gt graphics card and my journey will be complete :)

Just built my first A64 rig, although to be honest it's just for my brother :)

MSI Neo2 Platinum
3500+ skt 939
1 gig Geil Ram
160gb SATA drive
Leadtek 6800gt
And this excellent case :D

I haven't overclocked the cpu yet, although the graphics card is pretty stable at 'ultra' speeds. At least it managed to survive prime95 for a few hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back