Althon 1800 actual speed?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by JohnnyGreb, Nov 15, 2002.

1. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

I recently acquired an AMD Athlon MP 1800. For $15 I figured it didn't matter if it worked or not.
    I popped in into my computer (previously AMD Athlon 1 Ghz) and did a few tests. It appears to work fine, however I was curious as to the actual speed it should be. I was under the impression it should be around 1.6 Ghz, however, in my system it reports 1.48 Ghz. While it's still a noticable improvement I was just wondering what I could get out of it without getting too fancy on special cooling. (See sig for complet stats.)

And info or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

-JG

2. BonyTony

BonyTony Moderator

Athlon xp1800 should have a true clock speed of 1.53ghz

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, both athlon xp and mp 1800+'s have a clock speed of 1.533ghz. yours is closer to a 1700, which is 1.467ghz.

maybe your fsb is underclocked a little? :confused:

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I concur with taurus...

my cpu is 1.6 ghz rated... the 1800+ should be 1.53 (or 133fsb x 11.5 multiplier)... the 1700+ should be around 1.47 (133fsb x 12 cluck multiplier)...

check your front side bus setting in the bios... it should be 133mhz (which translates to 266mhz fsb DDR i.e 133x2)... might just need a tweak... or you were shipped the wrong cpu :)

5. JohnnyGreb

JohnnyGreb Guest

Thanks. I'll check it out once I get home.
    I'm going from what's printed on the chip itself (MP1800) so I think I got what it states, but as far as the bios settings, I'm thinking they may be a little off. I'll reply once I take a look again.

Thanks again.

-JG

6. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

Have a look:

7. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

well here is a question for you... did you buy the athlon XP or the athlon MP version of the 1800 ?

coz the MP is designed to work in boards that have multiprocessor support... ie 2 of them work together on the same board...

could it be that you have bought an athlon MP and are using it in a mobo not designed for MP support?

check it out m8... that might be a reason for the underclock...

can't be bothered right now (its midnight here) to check specs for the athlon MP...

just check it up m8...