Alt-tab??? Wtf?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by KennyX, Feb 4, 2002.

1. KennyX

KennyX Guest

Just noticed this when I reinstalled WinXP after formatiing my HDD... (wasnt like this when I had winxp last time).

Whenever I press ALT-TAB to switch between windows, a medium sized box appears showing the different open widow icons, and then to the left a screen preview...
    Neat I guess, but it really is slowing things down waiting for the preview of the screen to show up... How do I disable this?

PS... I noticed anothing thing... I have a 3 button mouse, where I use the middle button to scroll up and down. Doing this now, I noticed that it goes really slowly now. Any ideas what to turn off? Im pretty sure it's one of the animation effects.

2. zman

zman Guest

hmmm its instant on my PC .... i think you disable it using TweakUI from the powertoys

Whats your machine specs ?

as what you say is really fast on my machine and its nothing special

3. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

if you want to disable it go to start>run type msconfig and hit enter. Then click the startup tab and uncheck "taskswitch". Hit ok and restart

4. KennyX

KennyX Guest

Im running a Duron850, w/256megs ram DDR, voodoo3, etc...
    But yea, it's slow while creating a (miniature) picture of the preview of the other screens...

Anyways, it's disabled now.

5. existenz

existenz Guest

You can uninstall it.

Add/remove Programs -> Powertoys -> change/remove -> change installation or something -> then remove the Alt-tab option...

6. KennyX

KennyX Guest

yea, thx guys for all the responses.
    got everything fixed up now.:p

7. tonyfzac

tonyfzac Guest

AmarSingh - thank you! This thread came up on a google search, and your suggestion was the fix for me - you made my day, thanks!

8. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

not a problem....usually im wrong, but its good to see that i was helpful for once:D