Almost what I want

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ded Morozh, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Ded Morozh

Ded Morozh I don't DISlike you...

Toledo, OH, US of friggin' A
    Nforce3 250Gb. all it's missing for me is pci Xpress. after they pop one of these out with that, I will be selling off siblings on the black market
  2. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

siblings, kidneys, neighbor's brains - thats how I paid for my current rig, and most likely, how I'll take care of the next one :D
  3. scavers

scavers Wants OS X 10.3

i am earning me inspirion 1100
  4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX
    Why wait for PCI Express? I just saw the bandwidth numbers and they are very impressive but there is nothing that needs the bandwidth yet.

Video doesn't use 8X AGP yet (same throughput as AGP 4X). So video card bandwidth has to double before AGP 8X max's out.

Memory bandwidth is handled on the CPU with the Athlon 64 so no advantage here.

Optical drives are at their max read rates now,

HD are starting to push IDE especially with RAID stripping and SATA will but that not an issue unless you do video editing or graphics work.

Doesn't seem to be much incentive to trash all your IDE hardware investments until spring 2005 at least. Especially with Nvidia going the translator chip route and ATI probably going to have to follow to avoid the massive expense of maintaining 2 product lines.