Allow search to search all folders

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Kevin Ar18, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

I've been looking for at least 2 files recently using a search on all my hard drives, but the results turn up nothing. Then I find the files in Windows\System32, so I'm assuming the search feature is limited to what folders it is searching.

It seems the search in Windows XP does not search the Windows\System32 folder just to name a few.

Is there any way to allow search to search everything on my harddrive?

I have all folders visible to myself, as well as hidden and system files visible. I have the indexing feature turned off (to spare my harddrive running).
  2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Arizona near the Grand Canyon
    Yes there is a way to have search all files and folders. I think the easiest way is do a search that u know based on other searchs that will not get u any results then I think it will offer some options like searching all files and folders.
  3. allan

allan Guest

When you do a search put a check mark in "Advanced Options" and then also check "Search System Folders", "Search Hidden Files & Folders" and "Search Subfolders".

Unfortunately, you need to do this everytime you search.
  4. Kevin Ar18

Thanks, that did it.
    Dont' suppose there's a way to make that option stay on by default?
  5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Guest

Here's a link to the full info on how to get the Search function back to basic:-

Or if thats going to far just copy and paste the info between the lines into Notepad and save it onto your Desktop as ExtraSearch.reg then just double-click it.

-----------Begin Copy and Paste-------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

-----------End Copy and Paste----------------------

The words enclosed within the little square brackets should be on one line.
  6. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

new york
    my choices stay checked in the advanced searches...all I have to do, is hit advanced, and everything else is remembered...I thought this was default behavior for the search
  7. Kevin Ar18

Yeah, it's the same way on my comp (which is good). I just wanted to see if the advanced options could be kept enabled to make it even easier.

Thanks all.