All users use same custom icons/desktop?

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by Ron_Jeremy, May 24, 2002.

1. Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy Guest

I recently acquired 2 short term room mates, & set up user accounts for them on my pc. Since this machine is used strictly for web browsing, & there's nothing on it that I really care about, all 3 of us are part of the Administrators group.

They both really like my desktop, custom icons, & theme. I use StyleXP, & it is loaded as a service at boot.

Is there a quick & efficient way for us to all have the same desktop, custom desktop icons, start menu, etc, when we logon?

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

How about just logging into the same account?

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Lonman: That would be too easy. =)

4. Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy Guest

Yeah, that option would be the easiest. But, is there any other way that allows separate accounts?

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

save your theme and port it over to there accounts ?

6. Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy Guest

What about mandatory profiles? Wouldn't that accomplish my goal? I don't know how to try such a thing in XP :confused: .

7. Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy Guest

I saved my current theme, then logged on with the other user accounts & applied the theme from my own account. This has worked for the most part, except when it comes to icons.
    The same icons I have on my desktop are not on the new users desktop(s). I don't mean just the custom icons (for recycle bin, my computer, etc), I mean icons in general. While this isn't a big deal, is there a way for me to fix this, for future references?

8. Gouk

Gouk Guest

Ron Jeremy.... LOL!!! :D

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

dunno, i use microangelo to mess with my icons...

10. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Open Windows Explorer, go to 'D:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop' (where 'administrator' is your account name), copy the contents of that folder to the other user desktops. That will take care of the desktop icons. While you're there, go into the "Start Menu" in each account and make sure that the "All Users" start menu has everything in it you want to share between users.

Some things you'll just have to setup by switching users and doing it from their accounts.