All Users/Me debacle..

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Antix, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Antix

Antix Guest

Something unusual has occurred with XP Home Ed. Whenever I install a program, it doesn't appear on my Start Menu "Programs", or the shortcut on my desktop. I have discovered that these items are in the "All Users" area...but not "'Your Name Here'"...which is, of course, what I see when I'm booted up...I think...

Only I use the computer. I don't know if I've always been able to see "All Users", or things just aren't being applied to "Me".

I'm not sure if there's a connection, but I also don't have a History collected by IE that I can refer to. It just stays blank. I haven't been able to discover yet where it's hiding... :)

All this All/Default/Network Service/Network Service NTAuthority/"Me" stuff under "Documents and Settings" is rather annoying for a single user...

If I "Save to Desktop" I will see what I have saved.

Anyway..I hope this makes sense..I'm getting tired of copying the info over in Windows Explorer so my desktop and start menu are up to date.

2. engel59

engel59 Guest

You might try this: sfc /scannow

System File Checker

If you are getting system errors or having problems with windows, then the system file checker utility, Sfc.exe, allows administrators to scan all protected files to verify their versions. Sfc can also check and fix the cache directory.

The following is the command-line syntax for Sfc. Open a command prompt and type sfc and one of the switches after it.
    • /SCANNOW - Scans all protected system files immediately.
    • /SCANONCE - Scans all protected system files at the next boot.
    • /SCANBOOT - Scans all protected system files at every boot.
    • /REVERT - Windows XP: Return to default settings.
    • /CANCEL - Cancels all pending scans of protected system files.
    • /QUIET - Replaces all incorrect file versions without prompting the user.
    • /ENABLE - Enables WFP for standard operation.
    • /PURGECACHE - Empties the file cache and scans all protected system files.
    • /CACHESIZE=x - Sets the file cache size. The default size of the cache is 0x32 (50 MB).

Sfc sets the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon/SFCScan

The most common troubleshooting switch is sfc /scannow
  3. Stircrazy

Stircrazy Guest

I really dont Use XP desktop i use classic start menu lol and i never had that prob try that if all else fails