All Programs --> SLOW Help!

N

npfanz

I'm running xp on an athlon 2000+ with 512mb ram. Yet lately, whenever I click start>all programs, the box that all the programs would be in pops up and the actual list of programs itself takes more than 5 seconds to appear (I would guess around 10 seconds). Then if I do it again the list is there right away. This only happens if I haven't selected all programs lately, or right after a reboot, but I am 100% sure this should not be happening.

Does anyone know why my computer refuses to keep that list of programs accessible enough to display it in a timely manner? I don't remember this happening until a few weeks ago when I installed style xp and changed my visual style, but I know of so many people who do that and I haven't heard of this problem before. I have around 50-60 items that come up in all programs, but I used to have that many in my prehistoric laptop running ME, so that can't be the cause of my problem. Is there a tweak that might get around this problem if no one knows whats going on outright??

Thanks for any help!

Have you tried changing the menu show delay using a tweak program like tweakxp or such? that can decrese the time it takes. I have noticed that on some reboots my first look at the all programs menu takes a moment, but I just write it off since it only happens the first time

if you can't find how to change the menu show delay just write back as I am at work and can't post the info exactly how at the moment.

you might try disabling the paging executive, it helped on my systems

I just downloaded tweak-xp but can't find how to change the menu delay. I've only had a few minutes to work with it though, I have to get to class. I'll spend some more time with it later.

How do I disable (or what is) paging executive? I haven't heard of that before...

Thanks guys!

I haven't rebooted since this morning, but I just finished playing counterstrike for half an hour. When I went to start>allprograms, it took (and I counted) 17 seconds for the list to be populated. Something has to be wrong, this should not be happening...

You aren't using PC-cillin, are you?

I had the exacy same thing happening, OE took 32 seconds according to the timer to load up, and other things could take even longer.

Basically, in trying to still be safe, but not get the common "localhost" error that PC-cillin and OE between themselves conjure up, I turned off POP3Trap, but instead had the sytem check EVERY file, little realizing what this could do to system performance. Once I realized it, and set it back to only check specific files, the system started running just fine.

If you aren't running PC-cillin, you might think about other programs that might behave in the same sort of way, and try disabling it...

Good Luck,
M2K

DELAY

I am having the same prob as np fanz ,SINCE INSTALLING STYLE XP,i get about 5 seconds delay before iam able to start anything???:(

This just started happening to me in the past 3 days or so. I am fairly sure it has something to do with style xp, but the style used rather than the program itself. I realized that I have also been unable to right click on anything in my start menu. When I would right click the start menu would just flicker but nothing would happen. I finally gave in and used a restore point from last weekend, and everything seems to be fine now. The only major change I made to my system between then and now was the visual style i was using, but just changing my style back to one that worked properly didn't help. System restore has seemed to work, so I think the style I tried to use made some major changes, needless to say I'll be deleting it.

BMWCHUBB - My best suggestion would be to use system restore back to when it worked fine. If you are going to install style xp, then first try it with one of the styles that is bundled with the program. A LOT of the styles that you'll get at http://www.themexp.org are incomplete betas and that may be a cause of the problem.

Good luck

restore

npfanz your right .JUST GONE BACK TO A POINT ,WERE EVERYTHING
WAS FINE ,AND EVERTHING,S BACK TO NORMAL.:D

CHEERS :D :!!!!

Good, I'm glad to hear everything is working for you as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back