Alienware to slow?

What's with all the animosity recently? Just because you disagree with someone else's opinions, there is no need to resort to name-calling and verbal abuse. I have edited out any offensive remarks that I noticed.
Play nice, everyone.

Hehehe Welcome over to the invasion force Mooo. Congrats on the new lappie. If it's the current version of the Area 51m then you've got one heck of a beast on it's way to you. As far as shipping times go, it took about 4 weeks from the date I ordered my 7700 till it arrived in it's black box and I payed for mine by Cashier's check.

The laptop itself is an awesome sight (if you've never seen something as big before) when you dig it out of all of the packaging (alienware packs their systems really good) and dig out all the little free goodies and accessories to file the beast up.

Well yes you pay for the name but to a point thats true no matter if you build or buy a prebuilt computer.

Now as for alienware systems, the one I've played with a little is nice and fast and cable's did not screw airflow up so though it may take a while they do at least in their desktops care but other then laptops I'll just build my own but hey if one can afford alienware and don't have the time or whatever to build then sure get a alienware or a dell or whatever

right on ferral_imp, i can't wait.. really excited about it wanted it before my birthday but i don't think it will happen. Btw your check was mailed out yesterday so you should be getting it by friday at the latest.

Yea i got the p4 3.2, 1gig ram, 160gig hd, the upgraded display. So i am truly excited about it. I paid by debit card so I hope it goes fast. Its been 1 day now and still order is pending. I am going to call in the morning from work to see what is up.

The point I always state is that you can build your own for a 1/3 of the price you will spend for an alienware. Most cases, you can probably get a better system also. People seem to feel that if a system cost $5,000.00 it has to be the best. Well folks, come to reality, it's not. I paid $600.00 for my dell. It is flawless. Not a thing wrong with it. This is my 5th PC, I know a lot more than an average AOL user, ( People who are usually the ones who spend that kind of money on their first pc. Mostly so they can say "hey, look what I got". While they are chatting with their online friends while listening to Michael Bolton and playing solitair. But in reality have no idea how to turn it on !!) And I will never spend $5,000.00 on a pc ..

Prime example: I have a relative who can tell you everything that is in his system as far as hardware. He will literally sit there and tell you you have to have what he has, some schmuck at best buy told him what he thinks is the best and such, so now my relative thinks the same thing. Anyway, I spent five hours trying to explain to him how to use winzip and change his themes. Yes folks you heard it. He had no idea how to use winzip or what a desktop was.

That is what I am talking about. People want something to brag about. Sure they have a nice system, but I'll bet even odds they don't know how to turn it on. Or, if they did figure that out, they never rebooted it because they forgot how. These people are also the the ones who are constantly calling techs like me and spending $40.00 or $50.00 for five minutes of work to clear out all the junk they amassed while browsing the net and rebooting it for them because they never learned how !!

Here is another one for ya. I got called from a guy who said his pc was running slow an dwhen he would reboot it a bsod would come up. I ask him the noraml questions like; did you clean out the temp files and such. He said what are they. I said never mind and went to his house. I got in his system, download crap cleaner and ran it. He had over seven gig of garbage on his pc. I couldn't believe it, seven gig !! I went threw and cleaned it all out. I also cleaned out his registry and such. As well as disabling some things that didn't need to start at start up, he still had things he tried to uninstall running at start up. After doing all that his pc start up really fast. He looked at me and said that is the fastest he has ever seen it start up. I looked at him and just laughed.

Anyone see my points ??

Last edited:
Johnny said:
Anyone see my points ??

Not really...

He is excited about his new laptop and that's it. Saying "good for you" or "hope you enjoy it" might be a good thing to say, but he never really said hey did I get ripped off, or hey is alienware crap?

When it comes to laptops it's very hard to build your own (though it's possible with Asus and other manufacturers selling barebones laptop systems where you just add a hard drive and processor and some other components) and you have trust system builders to build your laptop.

Is Alienware the best? No. BUt they are good enough. So are the other system builders. When it comes to laptops you are at the mercy of the system builders.

There are people out there that buy alienware because they are supposedly the best from word of mouth and reputation. BUT you can't assume everyone does. If everything alienware made was crap they wouldnt' still be open. People would stop buying them.

Dell and other system builders are good but I mean for the past two weeks I've listened to my brother deal with Dell over things that most people would laugh, cry, and then get a labotomy over because the service he received was the worst service ever in the history of service. (the story is long so it would need it's own thread and actually is almost unbelieveable how bad the customer service was)

For Mooo I hope you enjoy your system. It will probably be a really good machine and I just wish I had the money to buy a lap top like that.

NetRyder said:
What's with all the animosity recently?
I agree, I am trying to stay on a low level till it passes...now shh...let it pass :)

I never understood why people get so worked up over someone else spending their own money on what they want :dead:
play nice!

Its fun to read, I'll give ppl that much :p. I do agree with you though. People get so angry when others dont agree with them. Just remember, what might be right for you might not be right for some, you take the good you take the bad, and there you have my opening statement, Sit booboo, sit, good dog

Last edited:
zeke_mo said:
what might be right for you might be right for some,

A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

I'm stupid I know

Tuffgong4 said:
Not really...

He is excited about his new laptop and that's it. Saying "good for you" or "hope you enjoy it" might be a good thing to say, but he never really said hey did I get ripped off, or hey is alienware crap?

When it comes to laptops it's very hard to build your own (though it's possible with Asus and other manufacturers selling barebones laptop systems where you just add a hard drive and processor and some other components) and you have trust system builders to build your laptop.

Is Alienware the best? No. BUt they are good enough. So are the other system builders. When it comes to laptops you are at the mercy of the system builders.

There are people out there that buy alienware because they are supposedly the best from word of mouth and reputation. BUT you can't assume everyone does. If everything alienware made was crap they wouldnt' still be open. People would stop buying them.

Dell and other system builders are good but I mean for the past two weeks I've listened to my brother deal with Dell over things that most people would laugh, cry, and then get a labotomy over because the service he received was the worst service ever in the history of service. (the story is long so it would need it's own thread and actually is almost unbelieveable how bad the customer service was)

For Mooo I hope you enjoy your system. It will probably be a really good machine and I just wish I had the money to buy a lap top like that.

I know he is excited. I in no way made a statement of negativity about him getting it. I am just simply saying that at times people get something because of the cost and the bragging rights. I hope he has great success with it. :)

jonny, i wouldn't want to build a notebook. The reason is because its something i am going to be taking to work everyday and school 2x a week. With alienware i get a great 100% warranty which is the reason. I would have went with another brand that was $1000 cheaper but the warranty was so iffy and the support would not be nearly as good as alienware. With them you pay for the design and the support because you know if stuff breaks you can rely on them and with a notebook i want that security.

Jeez this drifted so far OT and got so ... errr... "sparky", is that the right word? that I was on the verge of handing out some negative reps here! then I saw NetRyder had made and intervention and done some editting and held back fro that, but I think it is worth me letting folks know I was "on the verge" there!

Point is - this threead was posted for one reason - to mention shipment time for a notebook machine and that is pretty clear in the subject (although I admit when i clicked I was wondering if this was an Alienware that got shipped without an overclock in place hehe :p ).... So I shall try to make my very simple point on topic...

In any product delivery by mail there's pretty standard (albeit old fashioned) practice over here in the UK to have statements like "allow 28 days from order for delivery"! So I have to say that in the context of a custome build I would not say this was slow. What you could say is that they maybe should have some vanilla flavours that ship faster (they could pre-build batches of them).

To get this back on topic why dontcha tell us a bit about the spec you have gone for? Is this a really loaded machine? I am sure people will play nice and listen now (and if they don't I'll be ready with a little negative rep for them I have to say!)

Johnny said:
The point I always state is that you can build your own for a 1/3 of the price you will spend for an alienware. Most cases, you can probably get a better system also. People seem to feel that if a system cost $5,000.00 it has to be the best. Well folks, come to reality, it's not. I paid $600.00 for my dell. It is flawless. Not a thing wrong with it. This is my 5th PC, I know a lot more than an average AOL user, ( People who are usually the ones who spend that kind of money on their first pc. Mostly so they can say "hey, look what I got". While they are chatting with their online friends while listening to Michael Bolton and playing solitair. But in reality have no idea how to turn it on !!) And I will never spend $5,000.00 on a pc ..
Well i hope you would know more, you are on osnn. But this machine is a desktop replacement. My current box which is a nice box can't be carried anywhere. When i am gone 18hours a day and in between classes or at lunch at work i want to be able to enjoy it and frag a few people and what not and enjoy it, why i went for the nice on this one. I agree thought i would never spend this much but since i know its something i am going to be taking care of like a baby for a while i might as well go for the good one.

Johnny said:
Prime example: I have a relative who can tell you everything that is in his system as far as hardware. He will literally sit there and tell you you have to have what he has, some schmuck at best buy told him what he thinks is the best and such, so now my relative thinks the same thing. Anyway, I spent five hours trying to explain to him how to use winzip and change his themes. Yes folks you heard it. He had no idea how to use winzip or what a desktop was.
well for this one, your relative is a dip**** who needs a brain because the average "newb" doesn't need a nice system to start. But my point is stated before about my reasoning.

Johnny said:
That is what I am talking about. People want something to brag about. Sure they have a nice system, but I'll bet even odds they don't know how to turn it on. Or, if they did figure that out, they never rebooted it because they forgot how. These people are also the the ones who are constantly calling techs like me and spending $40.00 or $50.00 for five minutes of work to clear out all the junk they amassed while browsing the net and rebooting it for them because they never learned how !!
I don't talk to anyone to brag about it. My life consist of lady moo, work, school and bowling. Trust me the bowling guys know dick about computers. I am the tech they call btw so i know the deal with those people and trust me, none of them spent a lot of money on a computer. (esp the old ones they think over $60 is a lot)

Johnny said:
Here is another one for ya. I got called from a guy who said his pc was running slow an dwhen he would reboot it a bsod would come up. I ask him the noraml questions like; did you clean out the temp files and such. He said what are they. I said never mind and went to his house. I got in his system, download crap cleaner and ran it. He had over seven gig of garbage on his pc. I couldn't believe it, seven gig !! I went threw and cleaned it all out. I also cleaned out his registry and such. As well as disabling some things that didn't need to start at start up, he still had things he tried to uninstall running at start up. After doing all that his pc start up really fast. He looked at me and said that is the fastest he has ever seen it start up. I looked at him and just laughed.

Anyone see my points ??

umm no.. because they are all really lame stories to behonest. I am not one of those guys who can't turn on a computer or who can't run hijack this. Everyone of us have stories like that if not better. We should open a thread for that if there isn't one.

Damn 28days.. you guys need some fedex or ups that is crazy. I guess its just lazy on both sides, the shippers and the shipping companies, all that tea time makes you lazy :) (is tea time actually real or just a misconseption from the US people?)
as for specs,
Intel® Pentium® 4 540J Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB 1MB Cache
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 512MB
Area-51m 7700 Case with 17" WideSXGA+ 1680 x 1050 LCD Display with Built-in Camera - Xeno Grey
160GB (80GB x 2) 5400 RPM ATA100 (i didn't think sata was needed for a notebook)
8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software
Internal Wireless 802.11b/g miniPCI Card
Alienware® Premium Backpack XL(can't find another bookbag that does 17inch :[ )
and a razorback mouse.

lady moo is going to feel neglected when WOW is going to be played on the bed and she is going to be only watching. Which is why i got notebook from ferral_imp, so she can do online things and what not and not bother me :D thanks btw, i am going to be singing the facts of life theme all day today.

Last edited:
NetRyder said:
What's with all the animosity recently? Just because you disagree with someone else's opinions, there is no need to resort to name-calling and verbal abuse. I have edited out any offensive remarks that I noticed.
Play nice, everyone.

I have noticed that, and while I add I am not perfect, I try to avoid such posts. I do have a question though...

Say if someone makes a "not so appropriate" remark in a post, is it possible to lock that user out for posting to that thread? Or do we not have that much flexibility on permissions?

I could play up about the tea - fact is if you really want to enjoy tea in THAT was then do pay a visit to London, dress smart, and either go to the Ritz or to palm court at the fancy hotel down on the Strand - either way tea will set you back a pretty penny, but that is the way it should be done and it sure will take up your afternoon - fact is that is called "high tea" and is about 100 years out of date.

Shame you had to mention each of jonnies posts - sometimes better to let things slide. Real shame you had to use the *'s too.... I held back on any -ve

Anyways - back on topic - we do shipments in under the 28 days, it is just if you want to call a company for delaying when they take payment I think that period is enshrined in law somewhere as a protection. We do faster generally - but I think you are maybe being impatient and if you want immediate gratification then go to a retail outlet for your needs I guess was my point. Your specs do look impressive for a laptop - if that was docked somewhere I would say it was too much, but guess you are in the desktop replacement arena. Shame you upset NetRyder - I think he is pretty experienced in this field (more a Dell afficionado though ;) ) One comment - did you have to get PCMCIA card for your wifi? Was there no built in option on that? I guess with the high end chips maybe not, but that's the only criticism I could see really - hope it serves you well. Does it come with a trackpad too for the times you do not have a mouse plugged in?

Keep us posted about the eventual delivery times huh? And I am sure you'll have it all tweaked as you like itfor your birthday :)

Oh yeah - and I could not figure out what the facts of life has to do with this thread.... Maybe I'll attach a WAV and someone else can tell me.....

Attachments

• factsoflife79.wav
    786.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Back on topic about time it takes.

I placed an order for an employee here for a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook. Dell estimated that it would take 15 days to ship. It shipped in 13 days from the order date.

Because it's being built to specification it is going to take time to get it built on the production line, setup (using an image), and packaged. We have to remember that these companies receive hundreds (and in some cases thousands) of orders a day.

You should be happy with your 51m. The only bad things I've heard about the new 51m seriers is the fact that it is big and it gets really hot (thanks for a Pentium 4 series processor). It's not a "laptop".

kcnychief said:
I have noticed that, and while I add I am not perfect, I try to avoid such posts. I do have a question though...

Say if someone makes a "not so appropriate" remark in a post, is it possible to lock that user out for posting to that thread? Or do we not have that much flexibility on permissions?

We can and do edit posts. I am not sure how productive locking someone out of a thread would be but its an idea. X or EP might be able to it I think since they have uber powah :D

Also you do have the power to negative rep someone who's being naughty :devious:

Sazar said:
Alienware is over-priced junk IMO.

Agreed, anyone who is able to build their own pc SHOULD not get alienware. But in the case of laptops its different. Sure you may get a nice laptop but if you want to pay thousands of dollars for it go ahead. A smart shopper would not choose them. But they are great at marketing apparently, because they make alot of sales.

This thread is starting to remind me of the mozilla forum. Someone says something bad about something and they get hung by the believers. Appearantly, people who like to spend thousands of dollars instead of looking around are diff than people who know that you don't need to spend that much money on a pc. Looks like the name does more than the cost or products ..

Yeah, I know - This one don't make sense either. Well, bring on the lynch mob. All alienware lovers step forward and stone me. Here I will help you, Alienware is over priced junk !! lol ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back