AIM file sharing/IM image through router

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Spyder1125, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Spyder1125

Spyder1125 Guest

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router, and when trying to connect to some people through the IM Image button or sending files, it will never connect. However, some people can connect to me, but I can't initiate the connection. How would I be able to fix this, so I can connect to everyone smoothly and send files. Thanks...oh and those of you who realized this is my third post, sorry but I have a lot of problems, hope you guys can help me :D

2. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Open AIM preferences under "File Sharing." Look at the number in "Port To Use." Read the router's manual on how to forward that port to your local machine. Forward that port and you're all set.

JJB6486

3. GoKyu

GoKyu Guest

On a related note, I'm behind a Linksys BEFSR41 router (with port forwarding capability), and *another* friend is behind a router as well (I'll have to ask her which model.)

We both use ICQ, and while we can send messages back and forth, we *can't* send files to each other or even use the ICQ chat function with each other. Is it possible to do when *both* people are behind routers?

Thanks for any info,

-Bryan

4. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

Yes, you usually can. One of you probably goofed up the forwarding and didnt forward the right port or forward to the right PC.

JJB6486