AIM 6.0 Beta 1

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ElementalDragon, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

http://beta.aol.com/projects/tritonbeta/index.html

new beta of a WHOLE new AIM. it is a much nicer look than the old one. much nicer looking interface. no more little sign on window that pops up in the middle of your screen, the login part is actually at the top of what will be your buddy list after you sign on. the entire thing has a kind of XP look, even the highlight when you click the name of a buddy.

Someone can post it in the news if they want to. might post screens in a few...... once i get my stupid keyboard tray to stop falling off.

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

wonder if it wil run through the same proxy and ports....

3. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

This phase of the Beta test (Beta 1) is Windows XP only. We recommend that the software be installed on a machine with at least 256 MB of RAM.

Lot of ram needed.

4. ElementalDragon

true, Lee..... but most machines running XP HAVE at least 256MB of RAM.

5. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

How is 256MB or RAM "lots"? I don't think you can find many machines that ship with less these days. Even cheap ones would do 256MB I would think. In the end the user will most likely end up updating to 512MB/1GB.

6. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

screenshots of this before i d/l it plz?

7. VenomXt

hehe i run 198 on this laptop and its runing XP prof w/ sp2 runs great hehe

8. Xie

Interesting they have given the Beta a codename. One thing I found while reading the "known issues" was this:
    Why would they make smileys depend on flash?

9. GMeagle86

GMeagle86 OSNN Addict

10. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

any spyware like aim 5.0 has?

11. Xie

Looks to have banners so my guess would be adware of some sort.

12. seperatist

seperatist OSNN Senior Addict

i use aim adhack for 5.0 so i think i will wait until there is a version for 6.0

13. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I am hoping they got rid of the majority of the malware/spyware in this one ..

14. ElementalDragon

yeah.... i actually stopped using it now and went back to trillian. for some stupid reason i couldn't log on for the second time to the service. entered my username and password perfectly, and it still said wrong password. think they still have a boatload of bugs to work out too.

15. VenomXt

the installer for this is horrible.. you can configure it for proxys so i simply cant use it on my connection with proxys.. over all looks cool noticed some weird connect to AOL network icon after i closed the aim beta in the system tray. annoying and im sure that there are shortcuts here and there.. im just gona stick with trillian 3 :) but they need some new skins for it.

16. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

It sux .. Not as much malware/spyware, then it isn't final yet either. But it seems to depend on flash to much .. It also runs like crap ... Back to trillian I went ..

17. Xie

Yeah runs like that no doubt partly to flash. Why would you use flash in a IM client anyways? Way to take what everyone hates on the net and put it into a piece of software that is suppose to make communication simple and quick. :(

18. wind3D

wind3D OSNN Addict

So it is a messaging client that calls for more ram than the operating system that runs it does. I see.
    You guys are missing the point. sure, computers ship with 256mb of ram, but, uhh, who wants a messaging client that runs 45-50 megs of it?
    GIVE_ME_A_BREAK

19. Xie

Actually looks to be AOL's attempt to covert people going to IRC/Skype and then throw in some flash to wow the kids and kill your machine. :(