After a crash

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by djchapple, Nov 21, 2002.

1. djchapple

djchapple OSNN Addict

I have twp partitions on my hard drive - C for XP Pro/system files and (E) for almost everythin else.

Say XP crashes, I do not have any repair disks and I cannot repair it. I format C and reload XP from the XP CD ROM and all is well. E is untouched and OK. How can I rebuild the Registry so that all my programs on E are recognised and become usable again?

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

you would have to make a backup of your registry. So that you can replace the new registry with your backup one... But i dont know of that will completely work

3. allan

allan Guest

Your best bet would be to use an imaging product such as Drive Image (by PowerQuest) or Ghost (Symantec).

You cannot just "rebuild" your registry because many programs put important files into the Windows folder (and sub folders) during their installation routines.

4. djchapple

djchapple OSNN Addict

I have PowerQuest Partition Magic which includes the program you recommended. I will use that in future.

5. allan

allan Guest

I don't think Partition Magic includes Drive Image. I believe you thinking of Boot Magic. DI retails for about the same price as PM.

6. djchapple

djchapple OSNN Addict

Many thanks for the correctuion. What a mistake-a to make-a.