Advanced Users....maybe you can help

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jag24, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Jag24

Jag24 Guest

I have a Linksys 4 port router (BEFSR41), DSL, Xp Home runnning on a P4, 98se running on two P3's. I use MSN Messenger & would love to figure out how to transfer files & do a Video conference through this neat little programm. Far as I can tell the router is blocking me from doing this stuff. I have no firewalls runnning on any machines. ICQ seems to work fine on the P3's......but I'd rather use
    MSN Messenger.
    As far as setting up my router goes.....I don't know a whole lot about it. I have read some posts in here on MSN Messenger but mostly to do with the built in XP firewall. I have read some of M$ Knowledge base on this matter but cant decipher most of it. So if anyone can help me out in simple words it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks In Advance

2. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

Try going to www.practicallynetworked.com, it will tell you just about everything you would want to know about home networks. Your routers built in firewall is probably what is causing your problems. You probably need to open ports or forward ports for the programs to work. You can find this type of info there.