ADSL without the phoneline [POLL]

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ZeroHour, Oct 13, 2004.

?
  1. Pay BT cause I use my landline

33.3%
  2. Not pay BT and use VoIP :D

16.7%
  3. Not pay BT anything and enjoy cheaper net access

50.0%
  1. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

* 3RD ATTEMPT POSTING THIS. GRRR *
    Hi
    Anyone heard of a ISP that dont require me to pay those con merchants BT £10.50 for a phoneline I NEVER use?
    The Guardian ran a piece saying they were coming out with it this month.
    I hate BT for this crap where I MUST have a phoneline and pay BT to get broadband. It makes VoIP pointless since it costs the same localrate anyway.

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

BT Need a slap, they should at least offer reduced cost data lines, but that'll never happen (They like money too much :p) so I'm waiting for WiFi net to spread itself across the UK :D

3. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

4. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

Don't know why you're complaining ADSL in england is cheaper than in the states, PLUS we still have to pay $35 bucks a fecking month for the phone line, plus the ADSL costs, english people have no idea how good they've got it, by the way i'm english and now living in the states, my cable modem used to cost me $50 per month my DSL now costs me $30 for the DSL and $35 for the line, now even if you use the arguement of exchange rates i'm still paying more, and moreoever as i'm living and earning dollars in the states where my dollars pay for the same in the USA as a pound pays for in england, its doubly sucks ass.

5. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

I suppose but it still sucks.
    Most people have mobiles and people only phone me on my mobile so a landline is of no use to me.

6. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

yeah i see your point, there should be a service where the phone line was included in the cost of the ADSL service.

7. SPeedY_B

If you weigh up the speed of your cable, the conversion rates, blah blah blah, believe me, it is cheaper in the states. I've never talked to anyone before who's had a more expensive connection in another country.

As for the line-less broadband, we need something like this: http://www.countybroadband.co.uk/index.html; but on a much wider scale.

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Since they're thinking of providing BB over an electrical cable, I'm beginning to wonder what the costs are like for end users. We'd need to upgrade almost all of our computer components I suspect.

BTW ZeroHour, I'm assuming you're subscribed to BT's LiteUser package. Just wondering what the Terms & Conditions are on that. What's the limit on calls you can make per month and stuff?

9. SPeedY_B

Can't imagine the cost extending past that of a plug/modem type device which simply sits in a plug socket, with an ethernet cable (or USB if BT have anything to do with it :p) leading off.