aDSL & PPPoE

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
I'm going back to my old ISP which now uses a PPPoE setup with it's aDSL. I didn't use this setup when I was with them before. I was just wondering what people's comments and/or thoughts are on this setup AND if Windows XP's own PPPoE software is ok.
I'll be getting PPPoE Software from my ISP as well although I'm not sure what it is.

I have the exact same setup. I am running XP Pro w/ Verison aDSL connecting through PPPoE. Works fine for me.

Originally posted by Tiesto
I have the exact same setup. I am running XP Pro w/ Verison aDSL connecting through PPPoE. Works fine for me.

Yeah, Verizon attempted to have me load that crap on my PC when I signed up for their ADSL service...

Um, no.

I use XP's built in PPPOe client with SBC DSL and all works fine (seems to actually give me slightly better speeds). One thing to note is that your actual speed will be about 85% of what what you are paying for, because of PPPOe's overhead. So 768 in reality will be about 640.

One quirk is the rather long time it takes for XP to establish the connection.

Turns out that lag was XP assigning an IP address to the NIC every time. Using AIDA32 web site , or a similiar utilty, find the IP and subnet mask XP is assigning. Now go into Properties for your Local Area Connections (your NIC is listed for the device) and highlight TCP/IP. Hit Properties and choose 'use the following IP address'. Enter the info you have obtained. Ignore the bottom DNS entry. Your log on should now take but a few seconds to establish.

Yeah same here, Verizon sent me an updated Cd for Xp and I NEVER use it. Don't need to with Xp ..all you need is your user name and password when you create you're new connection for broadband manually.

Grym ( and always on ) blayd

I know w/ my dsl provider, if you install the software they give you (enternet 3000 --- *CraP*) in XP you will experience many a headache and still not be able to connect. Of course, it says on the back flap of the CD wrap in BIG BOLD LETTERS "DO NOT INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE IF YOU ARE USING WINDOWS XP" Naturally, my brother somehow managed to overlook this (are all MIS students this retarded?) and installed it anyway and it was a beeeeeatch to correct the issue. Had to rip and reinstall all network drivers before Windows was finally satisfied that the connection was not already in use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back