ADSL Always on connection?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Capricorn, May 21, 2003.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

With wired ADSL is the connection live even if the computer is shut down? In other words, when you start your computer do you still have to 'log on'

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

You still need to logon, but the process is virtually instant.

3. seeme

seeme Guest

yes. think of it as a broadband dial up connection where you dont have to pay for any phonecalls.

it's not strictly speaking an 'always on' connection like cable, that's my understanding of it anyway.

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

no, there has to be a computer attached to it for it to be Always On, I think Always Availible is a better phrase, meaning that as long as your PC is on then the ADSL is availible. But if there is no PC, there is effectively no connection. If you have a router which connects for you then the connection will always be on, but without a PC there isnt much that can happen with the line

5. Kr0m

Kr0m Moderator

There's a couple versions of aDSL here with my ISP. The older version, you are assigned a static internal (10.###.###.###) but it changes each time you go out side(internet) the internal network. The connection is on as soon as you boot into your OS.
    The other version they have here is PPPoE. It uses a dialup manager of sorts to connect to the ISP. It is dynamic.

6. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

yes broadband is always on but you get assigned an IP which is the basis of communications you get this from your isp but have to dialup. but if you left it on it would stay on with the same I.P indefinitely.

7. Capricorn

Many Thanks to All. I have 3 computers at the moment, all using 56k modems. I can connect any of them, only one at a time of course, by connecting all the modem cables to splitters. It works fine. I was wondering if I could just do the same with ADSL when I get it.
    By just using a USB modem, and only connecting the one I want to connect to the internet, it sounds like I could. However, the way I see it is, if I wanted more than one computer to connect at any one time, I would have to put in network cards and use a Router/modem

8. mbx

mbx Guest

That's right, Capricorn.
    I have 2 pc's.I had them connected with a crossover network cable (to negate the need of a hub/switch).The pc with the usb adsl modem had to be on if I wanted to use the other machine on the adsl link.
    i have now got a netgear DG814 ADSL Modem/Router/Switch.the netgear stays on permanently, directly connected to the adsl socket.Both pc's connect into 2 of the 4 available 10/100 switch ports on the netgear.Now either, or both, pcs can use the internet independently.

Hope that makes sense. :)

9. Capricorn

Yes that makes perfect sense thanks. I have been looking at the Netgear DG814. It is only the price putting me off at the minute, although I think it has dropped a bit lately.

Did you need to set up Networking on your computers to be able to use the DG814, or is it a case of just plugging in?

10. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

11. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

And you don't need to do much on the computers, just plug the stuff in and set the computers for automatic IP (which is the default setting).

12. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

You don't need anything fancy, many 2 or 4 port (some with a printer port) cable/DSL routers can be had for <$50. The computers do not have to be networked, but each will need a NIC to hook to the router.

I bought THIS ONE , it's the same brand as my DSL modem and it works fine for my 2 rigs. And as an added bonus I now have an added layer of protection with it's built in NAT firewall. The firewall alone is worth the $20.

13. Capricorn

Many Thanks for the replies and advice.

14. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

I have the 814UK version its very good only had one problem with it. But that was easily recitified
    A good modem/router imo