Adobe Flash causing Firefox to freeze

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by jcobb, Apr 1, 2011.

1. jcobb

jcobb OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi everyone.

So a month ago I had a virus and eventually had to wipe my drive and reinstall Windows XP Pro. Started adding plug-ins and noticed that Flash was causing FF to freeze. This happens even when no flash is needed - not playing videos. It freezes for about a minute or 2 and then unfreezes. It freezes when any new page is opened and/or when a link is clicked. It does not freeze when using Explorer. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Flash but no go.

Anyone one else experience this? Any solutions to suggest?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Since multiple version of both exist I would list what version of FF you are running as well as what version of flash.

3. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I am finding the same issue, especially with Firefox 4. In fact, there are a couple of things wrong with Firefox 4. I am about to ditch it and use Chrome full time.

4. jcobb

jcobb OSNN One Post Wonder

Sorry for the delay. I am using Firefox 4 and my Flash version is 10.2.153.1.

I see that Johnny has the same issue. Why would FF release this if there are so many issues? They built a pretty good rep and now risk losing a lot of users. I would have thought they would have tested better. Something as basic as Adobe Flash is used everywhere!

5. Johnny

Frankly, I wish silverlight would catch on more. It is a lot more smoother than Flash. It also doesn't crash your system, or cause your resources to dive bomb.

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Not sure if it would help (as I don't use FF) but you could perhaps try the 10.3 beta (here).

7. Johnny

10.3 beta is the one I am using now, EP.