Administrative Tools Unavailable....

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by 0pensource, Feb 6, 2004.

1. 0pensource

0pensource OSNN Junior Addict

Attempted to open ANY of the services listed under Administrative and cannot. Here is a sample return window:

"MMS cannot open the file C:WINDOWS\system32\compmgmt.msc

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient rights to the file."

The files do indeed exist. I have not changed my login process whatsoever.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated in advance,

-Miles

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

can you run them?

I believe all of them are available via the run dialog - or does that return the same problem? something along lines of rundll32 setupwbv.dll in the run box if I remember rightly - I'm sure someone else will remember rightly, the other possibility is that your rights have somehow been dnied on those utils or the files I guess.... we probably need to try the run thing first

3. 0pensource

Thanks for the reply but the program that I am referencing is *.msc. I did a search on "compmgmt.*" and only got the .msc program from within the windows folder. The module "rundll32" appears to only work with .dll file extensions.

-Miles

4. 0pensource

Found the solution elsewhere:

This MMC problem is caused by an old version of MSXML that was installed another application you installed on the server.

Solution

You must re-register MSXML version 3.0. You can find the MSXML3.DLL in the \System32 folder.
    run regsvr32 /u msxml3.dll first the run regsvr32 msxml3.dll.

-Miles