Address Book

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by djchapple, Nov 6, 2002.

1. djchapple

djchapple OSNN Addict

I have Windows XP Pro and I use Outlook Express.

My problem is this.

Using the Address Book all my contacts are displayed as "Last name","First name" which is as I would like it to be.

However inside Outlook Express the Address Book entries appear listed as "First name","Last name" which is not as I would like it to be.

How can I force Outlook Express to keep the same type of display as in the Address book?

Dvaid Chapple

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

try going to view ->sort by -> last name

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I just had a look at my address book. It is already displaying last names first which is how I want it. I go to view/sort by & bam......first name is ticked. Try that & see if it changes.

4. djchapple

djchapple OSNN Addict

Just tro recap. There is no problem when the contacts are viewed from inside Address Book. I can easilky choose the order.

The problem arise inside outlook express. Here the contacts are in the wrong order (for me) and i cannot resort them as they are seen inside Outlook express.

David

5. damnyank

damnyank I WILL NOT FORGET 911

djchapple - I hear what you are saying and I can't find a way to change it - other than entering the last name in the first name block (with a comma behind it) and then entering the first name in the last name block - that straightens it out in OE - but then your address book is messed up big time!

All I could find was a left click on contacts and a choice to sort by "name' or "status" - neither of which sorts by last name!

Crazy!:confused:

6. Hipster Doofus

I can't follow. My address book appears the same. Except for what I mentioned above. I can change first name, last name, no problems. There are two ways to do the names. Individually & as a group. If one is different from the other that might be causing it.

7. damnyank

Hipster - in OE - look at "Contacts" - what is happening is the order in "Contacts" is by first name.

There is no problem in the Address Book - can change how we want - but the "Contacts" are like no choice other than "by status" or "by name" (and that is first name) - as I stated above.

Follow????;)

8. Hipster Doofus

It must be how it is set up. Mine was like that till I clicked something. Now what was that something. Maybe....under contacts right click a name & select properties/name/nickname. Have a look in there. You might have to do it to every name if that's it.

9. damnyank

That's it Hipster - right click a name, properties, name, display and enter the name as last, first and then it will set them as alpha by last name - but ya gotta do every contact!

What a pain in the posterior!:rolleyes:

10. Hipster Doofus

You are suppose to do it when you create the new contact. :rolleyes: When it's done remember to back it up then the pain will never come back. :)