adding Win98 to XP boot loader

shiatsu

OSNN Addict
Hi,

I have WinXP pro on the primary IDE hard drive and Win98 on the secondary IDE hard drive. At present both systems operate independently and to get into Win98 I have to set the BIOS to boot from IDE1.

This situation came about because when I installed WinXP (upgrade version) I removed the secondary IDE HD from the machine (containing a clone of Win98) just in case it all went wrong!

Now I would like to know how to locate and edit the boot.ini file correctly so as to add Win98 to the XP boot loader.

Thanks, Alan

Don't know if it will work. What drive letter has xp been assinged?
If it is C you might run into problems.

To get to the boot.ini right click my computer/properties/advanced/startup & recovery/settings/edit.

Also have a look at Install win9x After XP.

You can do that with a little app called BootPart. It's freeware and using this software you can add any OS (including Linux, OS/2, BeOS) to the Windows NT (= NT4.0, 2000, XP) bootloader.

Thanks for the info.

XP is on Drive C and Win98 on Drive D. (when in XP)

XP is on a NTFS partition. When I boot into Win98 it assigns 'C' to the secondary IDE. I thought that XP would have no problem booting Win98 provided you tell it where Win98 is.

I will certainly try Bootpart!

Thanks, Alan

Or, you can edit the boot files and include the Windows 98 section. On the XP OS, click START-->RUN-->boot.ini

This will open a text file. Add:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\="Windows 98"

This, however, might not work due to the standard installation for Dual Boot 98/XP requires that Windows 98 be on the first partition. Try it and see though.

Thanks Reg,

I have Win98 on a single partition on IDE1 (D:) whereas WinXP is on IDE0 (C:) - so should the line to add to boot.ini be.....

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\="Windows 98"

If I clone my WinXP partition before doing anything will I be able to return the system to how is currently is? (I'm assuming that editing boot.ini does not affect the MBR directly)

Regards, Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back