Adding memory and getting none??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zedric, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I have a slightly strange problem with an Abit BD7II-RAID mobo. It has three memory slots and supports up to 2 GB RAM. I now has 1 GB RAM (2x512). When I add a third 512 module (to get 1.5 GB) the computer still reports only 1 GB total. If I swap all the memory around in all combinations I still get 1 GB total. What's going on? What am I missing?

The memory is DDR2100 btw.

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

bad memory?

3. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

Is it the same brand and all that as the current sick(s) have? If not then that might be your problem

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

should make a difference.. i've had different brands, even had one with ECC and one without.... they both worked.

5. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

Update your bios, half the time it can support it, but only with a bios update.

6. Zedric

ming: It's not bad as it works in any pair combination out of the three memory modules, just not all three.

TittleBitties: I'll check the brand, it's most likely all Twinmos but I'm unsure (and I don't have the computer here right now).

toretto: Good point, I'll try that.

7. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

Is the slot itself working? It might not be the RAM - it could be something to do with the memory slot itself. Unlikely but its worth a shot.

8. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

i'm not sure about this, but if your current 1GB (2x512) is set to use dual channel, it may ignore a stick that is unpaired.

9. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

I was going to say the same as ohzopants, check your bios or switch settings on your motherboard and check that dual channel is not enabled if in fact you have it, if so it will only recognize two sticks, although i doubt a three dimm slotted mobo would have dual channel

10. Zedric

The slot is fine since combinations 1-2, 1-3, 2-3 work (as far as I know, will double check). The board does not support dual channel.

11. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

this is generally the best thing to do...

12. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Some boards only support 3200 mem in 2 slots.

13. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Did you try running with only the new memory and see if it works first?

14. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

Just checked the manual on my Abit BE7-Raid, and its the same setup I have as you at present (2Gb max). The only thing in it I can see is that it says DIMM2 & DIMM3 are sharing - so im not sure what that signifies when all 3 slots are full. Unfortunately I don't have a spare stick of memeory, or else I
    would stick it in and check for you.

Hope u resolve it

15. Zedric

Vern: Yes, it works

tibboh: Yes I saw that too. I have no idea what it means or where to find the explaination. Just using slots 2 and 3 still works the same as 1 and 2...

The computer was needed elsewhere so I haven't been able to experiment anymore, but bios update is nexxt on the list.