Add or remove application aplet

S

Samaro

Hi all!
I have a problem. I cannot open Add or Remove Applications in Win XP Pro SP1 control panel. I have a message: Value creation failed " at line 471.
I copied a file appwiz.cpl from my friend computer to my C:\WINDOWS\System32 and it did not help.
Does somebody else have this problem and how to solve it?
Thanks for help.
Sam

Try doing a forum search. A couple of weeks ago this was everywhere. There is a fix but I can't remember it. :rolleyes:

This might be an easier way. Take you pick. madmatt came up with this>

This error is caused by code in the shellstyle.dll of a visual style. If you are using a visual style made before SP1 then you will receive this error when trying to access Add/Remove programs. Simply change your visual style to the default Luna and you will be able to access it once again.

Note: this is NOT a StyleXP flaw, so using the latest version (1.01L) will not correct this problem; it is a problem with the shellstyle.dll file of the theme/visual style (C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\t
hemename\shell\... ).

Thanks!

Thanks all for fast respond. I reyurned to WinXP theme and applet start working. But if I load Windows Blinds it stops. So I can unload Windows Blinds, use this applet and load Windows Blinds again.
Thank you very much.
Sam

lol Hipster, I was going to say, that sounded familar =)

You can probably still use Windows Blinds. It was probly just the particular skin you were using with windows blinds that caused the problem. I have the exact same problem with one of the visual styles I use in Style XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back