Add Memory in WinXP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by q12368c, Oct 5, 2002.

1. q12368c

q12368c OSNN Addict

Hello

I am using PIII 500MHZ with 196MB memory under Windows XP.
    I want to buy 128MB or 256MB memoery to speed up the performanance of XP. Is it better if I add more memoey under XP?

thk.

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

it's a good idea, but it depends on what you do with your computer. if you.. 1) play games, 2) have lots of programs open, or 3) use single, large programs (photoshop, etc).. then i would say it's a good idea. but if you just mostly surf the net or whatever, i wouldn't worry about it.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yes ... go for it.
    The more memory, the better.

4. sojourn

sojourn Guest

couldnt hurt

just make sure you buy the right type of ram

5. funky dredd

funky dredd Moderator

definitely go for it. I went from 256 to 768 on my pc and that sucker flies now. I used to see it bog down but not anymore...

6. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

also, if you have things like anti-virus running in the background. those eat up a good amount of memory and you will probly run short with 192mb.

you can also open task manager and, under the performance tab, you can see how much "physical memory" you have available at any given time. if it ever goes below, say, 30mb then i'd upgrade. i guarantee that if you do any of those things i mentioned before, that 192mb won't be enough for smooth performance.

make sure you have a free memory slot, though. or else you might be replacing the 64mb stick instead of just adding.

7. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Hey q12368c, click on the CRUCIAL link at the top of the Forum's pages. Support this Site and get a good deal on Memory. :D

BTW... Get a 512 MB Memory Stick they're cheap enough and it would be much better for XP. :D

8. q12368c

q12368c OSNN Addict

Hi

The menu popup in start icon delay a few second, is it the CPU problem or memory not enough?I forgot the speed of my memory..how can I know under any program?

9. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

your start menu takes a second to load up? that would probably be from lack of memory, i'd imagine.

just get pc133 sdram... anything slower will be the same price.

10. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

Memory max

The max memory usable by XP is really 512Mb for high multimedia usage
    Any additions after this have minimal advantage

11. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

The more, the better. More ( in case of memory and CPU speed ) is better.