Add Memory in WinXP

q12368c

OSNN Addict
Hello

I am using PIII 500MHZ with 196MB memory under Windows XP.
I want to buy 128MB or 256MB memoery to speed up the performanance of XP. Is it better if I add more memoey under XP?

thk.

it's a good idea, but it depends on what you do with your computer. if you.. 1) play games, 2) have lots of programs open, or 3) use single, large programs (photoshop, etc).. then i would say it's a good idea. but if you just mostly surf the net or whatever, i wouldn't worry about it.

couldnt hurt

just make sure you buy the right type of ram

definitely go for it. I went from 256 to 768 on my pc and that sucker flies now. I used to see it bog down but not anymore...

also, if you have things like anti-virus running in the background. those eat up a good amount of memory and you will probly run short with 192mb.

you can also open task manager and, under the performance tab, you can see how much "physical memory" you have available at any given time. if it ever goes below, say, 30mb then i'd upgrade. i guarantee that if you do any of those things i mentioned before, that 192mb won't be enough for smooth performance.

make sure you have a free memory slot, though. or else you might be replacing the 64mb stick instead of just adding.

Hey q12368c, click on the CRUCIAL link at the top of the Forum's pages. Support this Site and get a good deal on Memory. :D

BTW... Get a 512 MB Memory Stick they're cheap enough and it would be much better for XP. :D

Hi

The menu popup in start icon delay a few second, is it the CPU problem or memory not enough?I forgot the speed of my memory..how can I know under any program?

your start menu takes a second to load up? that would probably be from lack of memory, i'd imagine.

just get pc133 sdram... anything slower will be the same price.

Memory max

The max memory usable by XP is really 512Mb for high multimedia usage
Any additions after this have minimal advantage

The more, the better. More ( in case of memory and CPU speed ) is better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back